Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 507241 views.

I'm pretty jaded about classes in general - I think it comes from all those years of doing continuing professional education for my CPA license and feeling half the time that I could teach the class better than the teacher, and in less time.  That wasn't the case here, she is a good quilter, but she kept answering her phone, then a lady came in wanting a quilt done and she stopped to helper her staff person answer the questions.  I kept feeling like "hey, this is our time, we paid for this".  There was only one other person in the class, so when we did have her attention, it was personal instruction.  But I didn't learn much.  There is another class in September on borders, background and fillers, but I'm thinking I'd do better watching videos and practicing on my own.  I did get to try a few rulers I hadn't used before, practiced clamshells, got some suggestions on how to improve my feathers.  ah well.

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-25

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I'm pretty jaded about classes in general

I've gotten that way about the Road To Ca classes...the last few years I have not found any class that excites me enough to pay for it. YouTube is better...you can stop when you want to, repeat parts and skip over stuff you already know. And go back for a refresher if you need to.

I did have fun learning all those techniques though over the years so I don't regret taking them...

(Karen McTavish was a bit of a disappointment...we had a shared long arm head, and she said if we put our names on our section, she would cut up the practice pieces and put them into a pile so we could come back to get them after the last class. Instead we found all of the quilt sandwiches in a heap in the corner and she had gone to dinner...had to hack out my part myself - luckily I had a pair of shears with me!)

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-25

if those are the shapes, yes...its doable in EPP.. The coloration on the sample looks like there is crossover in the fabrics but maybe that is just an illusion...hard to see where the hexies actually are (picture is pretty tiny!)

when I zoomed in it was definitely hexi's.  I don't have that much different neutral background tho.  so I might have to purchase background fabric.  but I'm going to try a few blocks 1st blush

Yes, I'm satisfied with almost all of the classes I have taken over the years, and I'm glad I took them.  And I am not nearly as accomplished as many of you other quilters, because I have not done enough actual piecing and quilting myself.  But it makes sense that we should feel that we know more than the teachers sometimes, because we have been doing this for many years and have learned a LOT.  

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-25

eh yeah...how to quilt is always a big issue for me! I found a sample of some intricate quilting on an applique piece that seems to speak to me... I don't know if I have the chops to actually DO it though...

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-25

I *do* like those pebbles (don't particularly care for doing them .. they are boring).  And I really like the "quilted designs" in the background, along with the vertical lines that give the illusion of sashing.

Hmmmm ... that really does give me some ideas.   When I get around to those tops. :-)

oooo, pebbles.  I can do them but don't enjoy it.  I keep looking at Ami's quilting trying to figure out how she did this section. 

I'm planning on watching some you tube videos, bet there are some on McTavishing or similar.  didn't she come to a retreat one year?

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-25

Purty quilting!!

I don't recall Karen coming to Retreat...unless it would have been one of the years I wasn't there (early years??)

There was some gal that did some pretty intricate quilting one year that did a trunk show...but I think she was local to AZ..

So sorry your class was disappointing. Wish I could come over for some learning some things on the longarm.

By the way when I loaded your quilt on my machine I made some of those triangle pieces you have described in the past that you pin to the sides of the quilt and then put one clamp on the pointed end. They take a bit more time to pin and unpin when you advance the quilt but they make such a great difference.