Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 606568 views.

Yeah! I got the binding on the 3" nine patch done!!! This UFO was pretty old, my rough guess was early 2000's when we did those swaps on about.com. I forgot the hanging sleeve in Colorado so that will have to wait till I get back but it is not needed to call this one a finish. I am proud to say that all the quilts that I started this year except the double wedding ring which is still in progress of piecing have been completed this year as well and I have quilted quite a few UFO's. I just hope to keep at the pile of unfinished tops next year as well. 

I did bring the DWR project with me to New Mexico so now that the other on is finished that is my project for when I am here this week.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-22

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

I just hope to keep at the pile of unfinished tops next year as well. 

Just keep picking the top on on the pile and decide what to do with it. 

Not in love with it any more?  Donate or give it away.

Still like it?  Decide what quilting to do *RIGHT THEN* and quilt it.  Don't put it back on the pile!

Use the "touch once" philosophy so that eventually the UFO pile does get smaller.  It's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment, whether the quilts are gifts, keepers, or donation.  :-)

(Just don't get distracted like I did with another time-intensive hobby!)

Midkid5

Nov-22

The top on top of the pile?  Is that not the latest finish, leaving the oldest to be quilted last?  I be thinks the pile should be inverted, other wise the less than perfect tops may never feel loved.

Jo

What I do is put them all over the rail of the longarm, or on a table and decide which one is speaking to me. If I choose the top of the pile I might not be inspired by that piece. I work best when I love the item I am working on or if I have a reason to work on it like in that it is going to be gifted.

Midkid5

Nov-22

Oh thank goodness, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one hearing quilts talk. LOL

Jo

tuckyquilter

Nov-23

I have been trying to get better at FMQ but I'm using a regular machine and didn't really have a large enough table.  I had a rack I made to help hold the quilt up, and that was ok. BUT I wanted to be able to move the quilt about.  I have a huge desk (32"x60") that is perfect BUT still not flush to machine. FINALLY found a Finish Carpenter who transformed my old desk for me.  The insert space was cut large enough to fit any machine I have in.  I'm a happy camper. NOW my two favorite machines are acting up when doing FMQ so I have to figure that out.  But I will and then I can really go to town on getting good again.  It's been a long time since I did FMQ. Plus getting this done freed up another cabinet for a machine too.   Put my 1967 Singer Touch & Sew 600 in the other cabinet.  I'm doing the Happy Dance around this place.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-23

tuckyquilter said:

found a Finish Carpenter who transformed my old desk for me.

woo hoo!!   You are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE having that extra flat space to accommodate the quilt.  Not having the quilt drag and pull over the sewing cabinet is SUCH a wonderful luxury ... which shouldn't be a "luxury" but a *necessity* for FMQ with a home machine!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-23

Is this a Singer Touch n Sew?   If my memory serves me correctly, that was the first (or one of the first) machine that I learned to sew on!  It was my Mom's.  I sewed on that until it couldn't be repaired any more.  Obviously, you have taken much better care of yours!  :-)

tuckyquilter

Nov-23

The blue grey one is a 1967 Singer Touch & Sew.  BUT she's in a different cabinet.   The one in the newly recessed desk is my shortbed 301A.  Who is NOW acting the fool.  She suddenly decided she no longer wants to make nice stitches when FMQ.. I may have to put her in a corner until she comes around to my way of thinking.. LOL

I may plop my long bed 301A in there to see if she also hates the newly redone desk.  LOl  And if all else fails I'll try the Kenmore. All three of these machines drop the feed dogs, which should work for FMQ.  I'm just baffled as to why the current one decided to misbehave.  I changed the needle, thread, bobbin case and used a whole bunch of bad words.  Here is an example of what the machine suddenly started doing.  She was just serviced about two months ago.