Latest 12:05 AM by Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto)
Latest Dec-9 by MelRN
Latest Dec-9 by tuckyquilter
Latest Dec-7 by Judy (DJZMOM)
Latest Dec-5 by MelRN
Latest Nov-17 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Nov-16 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR)
Latest Nov-15 by latterberry
Latest Nov-14 by tuckyquilter
I put a white fabric under see thru fabric when I applique.
I do like needle turn, but I also like being able to see "exactly" what it will look like before I sew anything. Able to change fabrics, position, shape etc. You can't really do that with needle turn.
Gosh, that's just gorgeous, Dee!
thanks Shelley. I'm excited to get it done & hung on my sewing room door. right now I have a photo copy of a quilt - duh. pretty sad hanging next to all the pretty "real" quilts.
heh .. that photocopy was a real stop-gap measure for sure! But now, you have a real SHOW STOPPER! :-)
Dee - I got an e-mail from you about your e-mail address. Just checking to see if that was a real e-mail from you and not somebody evil who is trying to pull a fast one on us. Hah!
It never hurts to check these days!
Thanks - Jonna
yes, it was me. We're getting ready to dump all things ATT and I'm worried that when we drop their internet that I'll lose the email associated with it. Plus it's become increasingly frustrating to use it any more. And I'm worried any day that I won't be able to get in. So I'm spending the morning going through all my archived emails - geesh!
As quilters we know how generous quilters are, I was reminded of this as I read today's blog post from Becky at quilted twins.com. Early this year they made a call for quilts to donate to the people of Ukraine, the response was overwhelming. Becky who lives in Poland recieved the boxes, kits them, and passes them on to where they are needed. Ever so often she shares photos of some, today's amazed me. The time and energy that went into making some of these is astounding.
So thank you to all of you who have donated you time, energy and funds over the years to make and give quilts to others.
Disclaimer: hmmm.. it looks as though my attached pictures aren't placed in their proper (uploaded) order. Ah well ... such is life. I'm sure y'all will figure out which picture goes with which description. :-)
What have I been working on? (besides my on-going and forever in perpetuity scrapbook albums!) Well, I have TWO English Paper Piecing projects.
One I've talked (and whined!) about extensively ... Inner Cube. I'm pleased to say that every single, stinkin' piece has been prepped. Interestingly, the top is assembled in *columns*. I have painstakingly assembled each column, with all of its pieces, stacked appropriately in the order in which they are to be stitched. Each column (of pieces) is then placed in a ziplock back and labeled. This is my mega-Forever Project, earmarked to be worked on when we take a major road trip this September. I will have hours and hours and hours of passenger time in the car. Having each column already organized is crucial. I fully intend on making substantial progress on this project during the road trip. (so she says!)
The other EPP project is one that I got hooked into because I was in one of my several stages of frustration and intimidation during the Inner Cube project. And this project was NEW! BRIGHT! SHINEY! and .... **easy**. It's called Dillyflower and was created by Elise Baek (she has FB groups for EPP). She didn't plan any project with it; she just showed you how to make ONE Dillyflower and then it was up to you to do something with it. Essentially, it is a *short* Dresden Fan with a rounded top, stitched around a central hexagon. I knew it looked familiar and, sure enough, when I looked back in my reference files, I found the exact same design, only it was called a HexDen (hexagon Dresden).
Elise did have paper templates for stitching and acrylic templates for cutting but I didn't want to go to that expense .... I just had my Scan-n-Cut cut out all of my paper templates for me and cut squares of fabric (instead of shapes). I also made my paper templates larger than Elise had available ... which would make my project larger, which is good because I wanted a bed quilt.
Below are photos of the Dillyflower project.
First is a drawing of the finished quilt. It is alternating columns of 1) colored flowers on a neutral b/g and 2) neutral flowers on a colored b/g.
Second is a picture of the prepped EPP pieces ... and one completed Dillyflower. The central hexagon is being stitched to one of the Dresden Fan pieces.
Third is a picture of the completed block ... the Dillyflower is appliqued onto the background fabric. Elise's direction have you cut the background piece with a *curve* at the narrow edge to match the Dillyflower curve. I did ONE block like that ... and never again. Waaaay too tedious. All the rest of my background pieces are cut as trapezoids ... so much easier and less wasting of fabric. Once the Dillyflower is appliqued on top, you can't tell the difference between the background pieces that have a curve and the ones that are trapezoids.
Fourth is a picture of the stacks of colored Dillyflowers that have been basted to their backgrounds ... all ready and waiting to be appliqued.
I still need to stitch all of the green and orange Dillyflower blocks.
THEN ... repeat the entire process with neutral Dillyflowers on colored backgrounds! Since all of the colored fabrics are different (i.e. scrappy), I'm not concerned about matching a colored background to a colored flower ... or even if a colored flower has a corresponding background somewhere. It just doesn't matter. As long as I can get the appropriate number of backgrounds in the right colored fabrics, it'll be good. Ditto for the neutral fabrics used for the Dillyflowers ... I'm using what I have in my stash. What is there is what I'll use. And if I run out of neutral (which could happen, as I don't typically stockpile beige/neutral), then I'll go shopping. :-)