Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 792152 views.

I have found a good thread path and am using 5 different rulers. The feathers are all freehand, I have done them so much I can do them in my sleep.

Thank you. I was resisting the circle wreath in the center bur after trying a million other things I drew it out and decided that if I do a swirl on the inside then I just needed to go around the outside. I am going to make a little paper template for the last 2 or 3 feathers so the join will be perfect. Feathers are still my favorite freehand shape to quilt. You can fill a space pretty fast and they are very forgiving if you do not try to make them perfect. As I keep saying,  be consistently inconsistent!

it was you guys here that convinced me to try the "back to front" method - now I'm a believer.  I've also started making the seam a tiny smidge smaller so that pulling it around to the front isn't such a wrestling match.  Also since most of my backings are fleece, I cannot iron them (it melts).  So I use my thumbnail to press that seam down on the back before I flip it over.

Another tip I found recently and I think I prefer it - don't press the binding in half before you sew.  Just fold it over as you sew.  Previously when I pressed I'd come across a place where it wasn't pressed exactly in half, then I felt like I was fighting with it as I folded.  Also as you wrap it around, the binding folds where it naturally should.  Given the geometry it is not exactly in half due to the width of the fabric itself.  I know you'll know what I mean with your mathematical mind.  If nothing else it saves the step of pressing & makes it easier to store.

I might try gluing the corners on the next one, just to see if that helps prevent the wobble on the back.  I think the wobble is caused by sewing over the pins in combination with the thickness of the folded fabric on the miter.

part of my problem is sewing black bindings.  no matter how bright the light it still feels like a guessing game.  I did use a chalk pencil to mark the edges this time and that did help a little.

re feathers - I know.  Practice make perfect......grin

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Aug-12

For some reason, even though I put stacks of squares or triangles in front of me, I just can't get the rhythm of grabbing them between the pieces for the project I'm working on.  Oh, well.  When I need a mindless project, I usually grab my strips.  I seem to have enough of those to last forever and, of course, I keep making more.

Can't wait to see a picture of your finished quilt.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Aug-12

That will be perfect for that quilt.  I knew it was going to be beautiful when You kept putting more blocks on the design wall.  Doen't hurt that I love the colors.relaxed

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Aug-12

Yes, I sew to the back and fold to the front.  Sometimes the back isn't perfect but I"m most concerned that the front looks good.  I try to use bobbin thread that blends with the back of the quilt.  Rarely do I have a seam in the binding that ends at the corner.  I've used your solution.  Doesn't take much work or time.

judyinohio

Aug-12

Takes my breath away.

A quilt this lovely will guarantee the couple stays married. wink

Thank you. When I was buying the fabric for this (I purchased 100% of the fabric new for this quilt from about 6 or 7 quilt shops) I was thinking sea glass and sand.