Latest 5:00 AM by latterberry
Latest Dec-8 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Dec-7 by Judy (DJZMOM)
Latest Dec-5 by MelRN
Latest Nov-17 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Nov-16 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR)
Latest Nov-15 by latterberry
Latest Nov-14 by tuckyquilter
I tend not to like wearing those head lamps either but *dang* they sure do direct bright light to EXACTLY where you are looking!
Your DWR quilt is absolutely stunning! Love the colors.
I've done my binding that way forever. Stitch to the ac and flip to the front, although I do pin. My fingers would cramp up when I tried to fold over and hold in place. I only hand sew my binding if it is a special gift quilt and I haven't done one of those a long time. By the time I get to the binding,, just want to get 'er done".
Thank you. I love the colors too and spent a few months finding fabrics at multiple shops. I created a Pinterest board for me and the bride to be and asked her to pin quilts she liked. She pinned lot of DWR and Storm at sea most in that color way so I was sure of what she would like.
Count on you to make sure that your "labor of love" will be the correct one for this couple.
well I used one last night - yup it was a huge help. I had not noticed how yellow and dingy the light on my machine has gotten. But geesh the thing gets hot after a while. Maybe I'll see about getting some additional lighting that sticks to my machine.
Starting to work on my daughter's baby girl's quilt.. I washed the flannel and the panel in very hot water...the flannel is really, really close in size to the size of the panel..like so close it could easily 'slip'.... was hoping to not have to split the piece of flannel and make it wider, but it really needs it! So, I guess it will have to be done.
I get distracted on my projects. I'm *still* working on my heritage scrapbooks but more and more, I hear my sewing/quilting calling my name.
On a different but related topic, I belong to a Facebook group for EPP, specifically for re-homing scraps or trading scraps. I remembered that AGES ago, I needed a mindless activity and so grabbed my scrap bins and cut the largest squares I could from the scraps. I didn't have any project in mind but cutting up scraps was certainly mindless. I then organized the scraps according to size and promptly put them in a cubby on a shelf. And there they have sat for AGES. Well, the EPP scrap group triggered that memory and I decided that .. dang it! I know doggone well that I am never, ever, ever going to get around to USING those scrap squares, so I re-homed 2 sizes. That still left some left.
The more I looked at those squares and the more I listened to the voices calling my name, the more I figured .. oh, what the heck. I'll just take a brief hiatus from scrapbooking and sew something. :-) Yeah ... I used those square scraps. :-)
I made 2 donations quilts from the squares. The purpose was to **use** up the squares. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on them. I certainly didn't want to THINK about what I was doing. So, for one quilt, there are columns of squares alternating with a neutral strip. That was it. Absolutely nothing fancy, nothing to write home about. I used up a leftover from a sheet for backing and some big chunks of batting that I had Frankenstitched together. I typically really *detest* meander quilting but since I just wanted to get this quilt *done*, that is exactly what I did .... the detested meander. It actually didn't turn out half bad. :-)
and for the other donation quilt from the squares, I looked up "charm square quilts" for ideas. Again, i didn't want THINK about it; I just wanted to get the squares sewn together. So, here's what I did with the other squares. It's not quilted yet but I do have a backing for it.
and then .. the last quilt is a spur of the moment thing. One EPP project that I've been working on is called Dillyflower. (a clever, catchy name for a previous incarnation, "HexDen" .. a combination of rounded Dresden Fan spokes stitched to a central hexagon). Before I decided that I was going to columns of Dillyflowers of a color, I was just making them from all sorts of fabric, regardless of color. When I got around to finalizing my layout, I realized that some of the Dillyflowers that I made were rather ambiguous as to predominant color, hence they really wouldn't work. It turned out that I had made 8 of the ambiguous colors. I made one more for a total of 9 and put them together into another donation quilt. Yeah, they were EPP'd but I drew the line at applique! Nope, I machine blanket-stitched those flowers to the background, pulled some fabric for diamonds between the hexagons (turned out to be not such a great choice ... but it's what I had), and put on a border (again, not such a terrific choice, but it's what I had). Bingo ... the third donation quilt done in the past week. :-)
I gotta say that it felt so good to be sewing again! And I can sew a whole lot faster than I can make a scrapbook page! LOLOL!!
AND, I've cleared out a (small) section of my bookcase where the box of fabric squares used to be. Now, *that's* a victory!
Now ... to quilt the 2 tops. :-)
Three great quilts! Sometimes mindless sewing is just what you need. They really are pretty (which generally happens when you put a boatload of goofy scraps together) and someone will be very happy to have one of them.