Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

VALLEY OF THE SUN RETREAT Feb 14-16 2020   News and Announcements

Started 10/31/19 by KSCarolyn; 135624 views.

I've been working on minis to decorate my sewing room wall. Annoyingly, I tried to do the binding where you sew in the front, then sew through the front to the back. I did 2", and it wasn't quite big enough to grab in some parts. I'm sure that's a seam allowance thing, though I couldn't see it. I'll still have to hand bind in some spots. Otherwise, having fun with it!

karensquilte

1/16/20

Mel, it's a lot easier to sew the binding on the back and then topstitch on the front.  Think you'll like this better.

KSCarolyn

1/16/20

I sometimes sew the binding to the back and use a decorative stitch on the top, especially on a baby quilt that gets washed a lot.

Carolyn

Cathy (cacnurse1)

1/16/20

I'll have to take some pictures.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

1/16/20

KSCarolyn said:

I sometimes sew the binding to the back and use a decorative stitch on the top, especially on a baby quilt that gets washed a lot. Carolyn

I do the same.

karensquilte said...

Mel, it's a lot easier to sew the binding on the back and then topstitch on the front

Thanks for the tip! That is precisely what I tried first, but unfortunately, the decorative stitches that I wanted to use didn't work with the walking foot so I decided to try the other. LOL!!! I keep trying new things :) 

Thank you :) I'll give it another try. Anything's easier than hand stitching! (sorry to those of you who like it, but...not me!)

tuckyquilter

1/17/20

I just took my 12 place setting w/all serving pieces intact, to my son.  I've had it packed for years as I wasn't using it anymore.  His father & I picked it out together in 1972 in Japan.  Son didn't have any kids until 3 yrs ago. A girl, so he has someone to pass it on too.  He opened up one of the bins and just rubbed it with his fingers. 

PLUS it gave me a flimsy excuse to make a 2500 mile road trip to get it to him.  Along with a bunch of other family heirlooms that were his to start with.  

bornblesse2

1/17/20

Leaving for Houston.....

MarciainMD

1/17/20

We have a bit in common.  We bought our 8 piece set of china in 1973 in Okinawa.  Our daughter and her family received the set early last year.  And all the pieces survived Hurricane Dorian in September!