Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

interesting secondary pattern - hexagons   General Discussion

Started Jan-28 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1794 views.

Serging sure makes more sense than turning!  I hate turning.  LOL  If I were only making a few, I would use the rolled-edge hem stitch on my serger.  (The one people use to hem napkins and things.)  It would look a lot better than "regular" serging.  But it would take WAY too long to do rolled-edge hems on that many of them.  

LABFIEND

Feb-6

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

LOL  If I were only making a few, I would use the rolled-edge hem stitch on my serger.

That would be good!  I wonder if you could use the rolled hem foot on a regular machine.  And no, I don't want to sew that many!!

I suppose you could, but they don't really work the same way.  The one on your sewing machine still makes a straight stitch; it just helps you turn under the tiny hems.  But the rolled hem stitch on the serger zig-zags over the edge of the fabric - or in this case, both of the circles that are back-to-back, enclosing the raw edge(s).  I think it would be a lot more difficult with the sewing machine rolled edge foot.

LABFIEND

Feb-6

ROTFL, not that I will probably do either!!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-7

Thanks for the link.  I have seen them but didn't know how to make them.  They look easy.  I've saved the link.

CC (ccase5)

Feb-9

OK, did large half hex's!!! I used my Missouri star large half hexagon template, then sewed them together and trimmed with my Creative Grids 12 inch 60 degree triangle. They need pressing but don't look bad. Doing more will have to wait but I will make many more this size I think.
thanks for the ideas!
Attachments

Ooo, can't wait to see more. Thanks for showing the rulers