Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

yahoo, anyone here?   General Discussion

Started Feb-8 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1542 views.
Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Feb-8

I’m just checking in for the first time in a couple of days. I forget to check the forum sometimes.

mostly I wanted to make sure it was still working.  Since I'm on a FB diet and working from home, you guys are my only link to the outside world. stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

judyinohio

Feb-8

Yes, we non-Retreaters are here, twiddling our thumbs in boredom because the Retreaters are forgetting we are out here. I know that Retreaters have a habit of discussing things  on the Valley of the Sun thread that they could easily share on the regular forum.

(Pirate asking opinions on her quilting options on her beautiful huge quilt for her DD #2 is a prime example but certainly not the only one. Sorry, dear Pirate, I do not mean to pick on you but you are just the example that pops into my frozen brain at the moment.)

Do you guys know the wind chill in Ohio was -4 degrees when I went to get the newspaper this morning? I get grumpy when I get that cold. Running errands in this weather is not for the faint of heart ...

Anyhow, Dee, we are here but some of us avoid the forum during January and February because some others are too preoccupied with planning or participating in their Quilters' Jamboree in Arizona. (My nickname comparing it to the Boy Scout shindig ....)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-8

judyinohio said:

(Pirate asking opinions on her quilting options on her beautiful huge quilt for her DD #2 is a prime example but certainly not the only one. Sorry, dear Pirate, I do not mean to pick on you but you are just the example that pops into my frozen brain at the moment.)

And the reason I did that specifically on the Retreat thread, dear Judy, is because **I know** the quilted top needs to be seen **in person** to give a considered opinion.  It's a matter of density, of controlling fullness and generalizations won't cut it.   Sometimes pictures can be posted for opinions ... placement of motifs, which fabric to use for borders, what kind of edging treatment.  For this particular problem, you really do need to see the quilt in person, so I was giving the Retreaters a heads-up that their thinking caps need to be packed.

Otherwise, photos posted in the forum at large are generally for ooooo's and ahhhhhh's and being eye candy, which is hugely enjoyed by all.

but even the retreaters aren't talking much.  That usually happens when they actually go and that isn't until later this week (next week?)  Maybe they are all packing.  Though there aren't many going this year either. 

I'm just rattling around.  Work is very SLOW, I only had 16 hours last week and this week is looking even less.  I can't get into my sewing room right now because of the bathroom remodel - well I can get to my machine but not the fabrics.  and all DH wants to talk about is the floor plan - and I'm already tired of agonizing over that.  Sigh.  I need a new SEWING project to be excited about.  At this rate I will have to start working again, I can't do this sitting around very well.  And it's only the 2nd week.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-8

I'm continuing to work on the same old stuff as I always have been.  :-)   Although, I *have* worked in some quilting along with the scrapbooking.  I gotta say, I've missed the quilting.  I do miss the sewing part.  Forever Projects are fine, but they don't reduce my UFO piles!

And I don't talk too much about the scrapbooking stuff because .. well .. it's not quilting. :-)

judyinohio

Feb-8

A spouse building a house.

Been there done that. You have my best wishes. LOL

The placement of every light switch drove me bananas.

I have had a really busy day and nothing really quilty I can share. 

I know he is frustrated I am not more "involved" in the floor plan - he has spent HOURS staring at the computer, playing with a CAD program he found.  I'm frustrated he is not helping much with the clean up around here.  Though he did work on replacing the exhaust fan in the bathroom, but then he slipped and fell down the stairs from the attic.  Fortunately no "obviously" broken bones though I'm wondering about his elbow and ribs.  Men.  who would think it was a good idea of work in the attic while wearing slippers.  seriously!

judyinohio

Feb-8

Clever men frequently fall short in the common sense department.

My son (the PhD in Geometry guy) is a superb example of that. During his high school and college years we frequently joked about getting him a vanity license plate with "WHOOPS" on it. Don't know about his behavior since he got married and established a home five hundred miles from Ohio but he's a serious woodworker in his spare time and he still has all of his fingers so I guess he is doing okay.