Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

another interesting applique quilt using circles & leaves - Modern Mandala   General Discussion

Started Feb-9 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 301 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-9

oh, that looks like a wonderful Forever Project!

judyinohio

Feb-9

Gosh, you keep finding these things that sorta look like color wheels that have run over bumpy roads.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-9

I found something similar to that, Dee.

SOMEWHERE on the internet, I found this vastly intriguing design.   I *think* it was when I was doing some of my genealogy research but, idiotic me, I didn't write down the source.  (Now, I need to see if I can retrace my steps so I can give proper credit).

It is two intertwined trees in a vaguely Celtic sort of design.  It just really appeals to me.  So, I copied the image, cleaned it up, enlarged it and then took it to FedEx/Kinkos to have a VERY LARGE oversized copy made ... 25"x28" .. which makes it ideal as a full-size image for applique!

The original image was one with the left side silver and the right side gold but I can see it starting out with dark hues in the root/trunk area, lightening up as the colors go up the tree and morphing into analogous colors at the leaf level.

The project is on my List of Things To Do.  :-)

Suze (casuzenn)

Feb-9

ooh....like that one...

found this one looking for yours...it's Freebird as well...'Seed Burst'

if you wanted to do this raw edge, it would be a super fast quilt...applique...not so fast, but faster than the Modern Mandala one!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-9

oh lordy ... did you see the QUILTING that she did for this???   AMAZING.   Holy smackers.   dang.

I didn't realize how large her leaves are.  I was thinking about an inch across but these look more like 2.5 or 3" across the middle.  Definitely would make the points a bit easier.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-9

Did you take a gander at the other designs she has in her shop?   They are *fantastic*.   Man, I love all of them!  :-)

Free Bird Quilting Designs 

judyinohio

Feb-9

Well, it's an early 21st century quilt.

You can date it by the use of that pale gray background fabric.

Doing fusible applique would make it fast, and it would be kind of fun - like paperdolls.  I made a couple of fused raw edge applique quilts several years ago and carried around the fused pieces and cut them out at football games (when DD was in marching band).  But that was before I discovered I liked needle turn.  I don't now that I'd want to do all those swirls with inside corners as needle turn.  those inside points are why I haven't tackled the hearts applique book.  I can do them, but I don't enjoy doing them - I always feel nervous that I haven't securred them well enough.