Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Off-brand rotary blades   General Discussion

Started Feb-12 by sueinIL; 434 views.
sueinIL

Feb-12

Thanks, Judy,

I will take a look at the negative comments for those blades.  I was just impressed by how many positive responses they had. 

So often when I have JoAnn's coupons or they are on my phone app, the fine print prevents  using them for cutting equipment altogether.

Well, back to Amazon to do a more thorough search.

Sue in IL

Do you ever use one of those blade sharpeners to extend the life of your blades a little more?  I have not used them myself, but I have seen some well-known quilters recommend them, including one of my favorite people, Pepper Cory.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdd3JiWnmtE 

I have one of those blue twisty things.  It helps a little but definitely the blade is NOT like new.  Maybe because I let it go too long before i try to sharpen it.

sueinIL

Feb-12

I have that twisty thing, too.  I remember it worked to some extent, but the sand paper wore down quickly on both surfaces.  It's probably in the drawer of "no longer used but can't possibly be thrown out" tools.

Sue in Il

In reply toRe: msg 6
sueinIL

Feb-12

My daughter told me that we once ordered some cheap blades from Amazon.  I didn't remember that, but guess what I found in the afore-mentioned drawer. Looks like I might have used one and then relegated the rest of the pack to the drawer. Guess I answered my own question.

Sue in IL

bornblesse2

Feb-12

Sue, a lot of the cheaper blades are not the tempered steel quality as Olfa and thus may not be as sharp or keep their edge as long.  I prefer the Olfa or Quilters Select brands.

sueinIL

Feb-12

I haven't heard of Quilters Select blades.  I'll see if Amazon has them.  Thanks!

Sue in IL

Sue, I've used a few generics off of Amazon. No problems with them. I used to have a place that sold them in 50/100 packs and Mark (my then husband) would buy me a hundred for Christmas--I think they were like $180 for the 100 pack. That was > a decade ago.

Quilter's Cut, Headley Tools, SOMOLUX, KISSWILL, Marlene's Magic, Improved Cut...these are the brands I've tried. Prob just looked for the cheapest at the time with good ratings. Not had trouble with any so far. (I will say I have about 20 stockpiled...don't know which brands)

sueinIL

Feb-16

Hi Mel

Somolux is the brand I saw on Amazon.  I think I'll try them; the price isn't too much if I just have them on hand for "emergencies."

Sue in IL