Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

what a week   Off-Topic Chat

Started Feb-18 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1464 views.
tuckyquilter

Feb-22

SO true.  Years ago at a Bible Study, the leader asked us to all name one thing in our kitchen that was our favorite thing.  She got the usual toaster, microwave, coffee pot etc, then she came to Grace.  Grace was in her late 80's.. Her answer gave us all pause:   RUNNING WATER....

We had never given that much thought as that was all we'd ever had.   Good lesson in "be grateful for what we have".   

I was raised in the Midwest and hated snow, cold and ice.  Said I would leave as soon as I could.... and I did.  SoCal is pretty crazy politically but I love the weather.  I live about half way between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, in what used to be a sleepy farm town. 

bornblesse2

Feb-22

People around me sometimes laugh when I tell them that almost every week I express thanks for my washer and dryer!

growing up I had to help hang up a good portion of the laundry on the line.  I also remember having to help The agitator and wringer very old school down in the yucky basement.  So I always appreciated the modern washer and dryer.  
but many years of my young adult life I had to use laundromats.  So when I got my own home and units of my own, and had baby diapers and clothes, I was always thankful to not be running out to get them done.  I think it keeps me great ful but also centered to know no matter if I have a tough time in life, I do have luxuries to make it easier.

dear son now knows how to flush a toilet using a bucket of water relaxed

He has water for a few hours yesterday but then it was off again this morning.  But his comment was he still had a couple of trashcans of water.

Yes, I was glad when I learned that you don't have to take the top off the tank every time you want to flush!  ha!

I loved Misha's idea of putting snow in the bathtub.  We had filled up the bathtub just in case but Marion didn't have a stopper for hers.  So they were going up and down the stairs bringing up bowls of snow.  She had a bunch on her balcony due to the direction of the wind so she said they scraped that up 1st.  We'll be telling stories of the last week for years to come.  I saw someone had filed a 111M lawsuit against the electric utility for wrongful death.  

we just went out to lunch - it is 78 degrees outside.  what a difference a week makes.  Our builder is out fixing broken plumbing right now, he says he has 10 different people frantic to have him come work on their well pipes.  So while our tile is drying he's doing that.

bornblesse2

Feb-23

Oh, so glad it has warmed up!  I missed you at retreat....l

Judy (DJZMOM)

Mar-4

How are you all doing down there about now?  I hope everything for you is back to some normal and you are warm with electricity.  I have been thinking about you as I've been making plans to go to Denton!  My sister has been working on a Master's of Library Science (or it may be Information Science).  Anyway, it has been a long haul for her working FT and still trying to complete the required classes.  Almost unimaginably, this is her last semester and she has applied for graduation in May.  I'm determined to get my Mom down there to see her receive her credentials.  When COVID hit I really wondered if she would be willing to travel.  But we got her Senior ID at the DMV and she seems pleased with the idea of attending.  We may not see her walk but only sitting as a socially distanced group but if the College of Info Sci holds a special event we should be able to go to that.  

All that to say...  was Denton where you lived when you were first married? I couldn't remember your history there.  

LABFIEND

Mar-4

When are you going to Denton? It's not that far from you know who (me), wouldn't that be a hoot to have a coffee.  You will probably be too busy, but it is a thought!!

I would love love love to meet you in Denton.  Yes I lived in Denton for many years, twice (Santa Fe in between).  My husband and I have 4.5 degrees between us from UNT.  It has an excellent library science program.  We really loved living in Denton.  It feels like a small town but has many large town amenities due to two large universities.  It is only an hour drive from where I am now, if you do end up going and you think there will be time I would love to drive up and have at least a cup of coffee and a hug.