Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

No Magnets in Back of HQ 18 Avante   General Discussion

Started Feb-22 by judyinohio; 596 views.
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-23

judyinohio said:

So what makes the "buzzing" when I touch the "start" button on the handle on the back of the machine?

Does your daughter feel the same thing when she is on it?  I assume you didn't feel it either until after you had your pacemaker implanted?  No buzzing when you use your left arm/hand in the normal position, just the right?

I agree that it couldn't hurt to have someone look for a short somewhere.

In reply toRe: msg 7
judyinohio

Feb-24

Well, the HandiQuilter company and I have concluded that my "buzzing" must have been some sort of fluke.

Today I resumed quilting on my dear Lily Aurora and after over two hours of doing pantograph work on a kiddie quilt I have not had a recurrence of any kind of glitch, any kind of "buzzing" or any kind of weird sensation from this machine.

Their engineers were concerned but had no explanation and I had no explanation either.

At least I have a contact to keep in touch with if the problem pops up again.

But I think it was a one-time fluke that could have just as easily happened when I put the key in my Ford Escape or when I opened my refrigerator door .... just something weird that my pacemaker decided to do ... a sort of electronic hiccup.

• Edited February 24, 2021 3:04 pm  by  judyinohio

Judy that is great news. Hopefully it will not ever happen again!

oh so glad to hear that "diagnosis".  Your pacemaker just  making sure you were paying attention?  

YDritch

Feb-24

So the problem was not your electrifying personality after all.

judyinohio

Feb-24

I do shoot sparks from time to time but usually not when I'm alone in the basement with nobody to get angry with!  stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

be carefully, she may have a sizzling retort..  grinning

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-24

Well, that's excellent news that you can quilt again but still concerning,  in a back of the mind sort of way,  because if you don't know what caused it, you can't definitively prevent it.

But, overall ... great news!

judyinohio

Feb-24

Correct. 

The local Medtronics guy who is checking out my pacemaker/defibrillator every two months (for the first year) found nothing amiss at my last "tune-up".  The HandiQuilter people say that there is no magnet that could have caused a "buzz". 

I know what I felt those two times in a row so there was definitely something but it has not happened since that one time and so I will tell myself that my device (which I call Freya for the surgical nurse who was by my side during the whole implant procedure) just had a temporary hiccup of some sort. 

I will go back to the heart hospital the second week in March for my six month check-up and I'll tell those people about the "buzzing episode" and see what they make of it.