Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do You Have an Heirloom Quilt From a Long-Gone Family Member?   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started 3/23/21 by judyinohio; 2914 views.
latterberry

3/25/21

Same here.  I can't imagine my two granddaughters placing any value on mine and DD is single too and have no one to leave them to.  I try not to think about them being sent to a thrift store some day.

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

3/25/21

I had my hands on a quilt like that once, from DH's childhood friend.  It had the names of a couple of his grand aunts on it, had been found at a garage sale.  He was just wondering if I wanted it, it was in pretty bad shape - no I didn't but I was surprised one of his sisters didn't.  There were names on it I had heard MIL refer to for years but he said no.  Not sure what happened to it.

judyinohio

3/25/21

Speaking of quilts in bad shape ... I have a remnant of one from DH's great-grandmother, just a segment, really.

It's a piece of a quilt in the Improved Nine Patch pattern and when I saw the quilt all I could think was it must have been used in a dog's bed it was so tattered. When I spread it out I was so upset at what had happened to the quilt and all I could think was "Those doggoned hillbillies did not respect their grannie's work at all".

Or maybe they loved their hound more.  LOL

Anyhow, I noticed one section looked decent so I brought the raggedy old quilt home with me, cut out the good part and saved it before I threw away the rest of the mess.  I call this "Rachel Rebecca's Remnant" in her honor.

bornblesse2

3/25/21

Judy, the fan block in the first quilt you posted, was similar to a block called Baby Aster .  Your quilt is different in that the blocks are sashed instead of put together to make a circle.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

3/25/21

judyinohio said:

. my baby quilt

What a wonderful quilt to have!  I'm sure your daughter knows it's history and to treasure it.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

3/25/21

judyinohio said:

And here's the woman as I remember her best,

Hope these memories are in a book somewhere for you daughter and or son.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

3/25/21

But you certainly are keeping what information you can find on the family for your heirs and your girls will have all kinds of quilts to remember you by and you wonderful blog with all the documentation.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

3/25/21

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

I do have a quilt top from DH aunt made of double knit

The only other quilt top my mother made was when she was in her 60's.  she needed something to do while she sat with my Dad watching TV.  It was double knit fabric left from her sewing in probably the 70's.  My sister got that one.  It's really heavy.

judyinohio

3/25/21

Thank you, Ellen, for giving a name to the block ... or at least an almost-name. I'll call it a "Split Baby Aster" in my notes.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/25/21

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

your girls will have all kinds of quilts to remember you by and you wonderful blog with all the documentation.

yeah ... that blog.   It is woefully in need of massive updates.  I was caught up in the case of the "meh ... I'm not enthused", which of course, has dragged on.  While I *have* been keeping track of the few things I've been working on in specific directories on my computer, I sure haven't made any web pages or blog posts.   Another project I need to return to.

In a shining example of "use it or lose it", when I was actively working on projects and clearing out my UFO boxes, I had a process: pictures of work in progress & final status, notes for documentation, post on this forum, post on FB, create a webpage, make a blog post.  For those of you who don't do any web work, there is a LOT of behind the scenes goings-on to get the information & photos ready to go live.  Fortunately, I had done a lot of prep work to make the process as streamlined as I could, so that I didn't have to *think* about it, such as making templates for page formats.   All of that is kind of automatic when you're doing the process on a regular basis, but I haven't done ANY of that since 2015.  The specific knowledge of what do use is a little dim.

Once upon a time, I was engaged in trying to sell my Daisy Kingdom patterns (adorable, fancy children's clothing).  I made a stand along web page for the pattern covers.  I recently checked that the webpage is still there ... check.   But, if I wanted to update the page .....how do I *do* that.  I actually had to THINK (the horrors!) back on what programs I used and the process I went through to make that page and get the content uploaded.   I was experiencing mild panic when I came up blank but in looking at the icons on my desktop, the memory finally came back.  Whew .... that was concerning!  So, now  have sticky notes to myself on what program I used to upload content and what program I used to update the web page.

But now that I have remembered all of that, I'm slowly dragging myself to the point where I'll start updating the web site and blog again.  Some time.  LOL!