Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do You Have an Heirloom Quilt From a Long-Gone Family Member?   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Mar-23 by judyinohio; 2656 views.
judyinohio

Mar-23

That's a great idea you have suggested for Dee. With her flair for making "magic" with scraps she should be able to rise to the occasion with these remnants from her maternal grandmother's quilting career.

In reply toRe: msg 9
judyinohio

Mar-23

Well, I got the lead out this afternoon and took some photos of the four quilts I have that were made by my mother's mother. First, a bit of her story.

Cecil dropped out of school at the end of the third grade to help support her family. Of course, third grade children were a lot more educated in those days than a third grader is now; Cecil was born in 1888 and school standards were a bit tougher in those days. She went to work in a glove factory where she was taught needlework skills and she embroidered ladies gloves which were fashion accessories of the time.

She eloped at age 16 with Charlie, my future grandfather and eventually raised three children while living through the hardships of the Great Depression.

Here's the first quilt I'll share ... my baby quilt which was made before I was born in 1941. Back then there was no way to know if the new critter was going to be a boy or girl and so Cecil played it safe by using pastel colors but please note the one patch that is glaringly "wrong". Cecil held with the old superstition that you should not make a perfect baby quilt because it would bring bad luck on the baby. (She had had a baby girl die of spinal meningitis at the age of one year and she was very superstitious about not bringing bad luck on her daughter's child.)

This quilt is badly worn and soft as can be. There are a few teensy holes in it but I am reluctant to use it mainly because I don't need to use it. I just keep it folded and draped over a quilt ladder in the guest bedroom. Cecil's hand quilting is stunning.

Cute pattern! I have several antique ones, some from inside the family and some not. :) 

In reply toRe: msg 10
judyinohio

Mar-23

One more quilt to share and then I'll call it a night.  wink

Here's a scrap quilt my grandmother made in 1935.  Not sure of the pattern's name. 

Perhaps the close-up will help a forum member give it a formal name other than my "tipped-over nine patch".  LOL Can you see my grandmother's tiny stitches?  She made this quilt in 1935 when she was 47 years old so there was nothing wrong with her eyesight.

A

And here's the woman as I remember her best, wearing a pinafore apron over her house dress. She was always wearing a pinafore, no matter how hot the day ..... and always fiddling with the bun on the back of her head. :-)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-23

What amazing quilts and memories you have!  Gosh, how wonderful!

I don't have anything sewn passed down from either grandmother.  I have a few pieces of costume jewelry, some china and flatware from my Dad's mother.. but that is *it*.   At least my Dad's mother had 2 daughters who treasured their mother's things, which I eventually got.

Absolutely nothing from my Mom's mother.  I can only assume that my grandfather didn't value anything of his wife's because nothing was saved.

I look with astonishment at the generations of items passed down in some families.  I simply don't  have any of that.

Judy your baby quilt is a beautiful treasure!

bornblesse2

Mar-23

Judy, I do have several of my grandmothers quilts!  I will post some when I return from my 3 days away from home. 
But I will show you this gem from Great grandma Jenny!

this block was one of a handful if the cedar chest of my grandmother.  They were Jenny’s sample blocks to remember how to make blocks.  All were of reused fabrics, some had cardboard templates with them.  My dad made the farms with boards from our torn down barn.

it proudly hangs in my sewing area!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-23

bornblesse2 said:

My dad made the farms with boards from our torn down barn.

Ellen, have you **written** down that story and put it on the back of that framed block?  YOU remember the story but will your kids remember in 50 years?  The fact that your great grandmother (their great great grandmother) made the block and your Dad (their grandfather) made the frame from the barn that was your family's is truly priceless information!  Don't let it get lost!

Might you have a picture of Great Granma Jenny?  and a picture of the barn before it was torn down?  Include them in that journaling on the back of the framed piece!

bornblesse2

Mar-23

Judy, I did some looking in my Barbara Blackman book.  I could find you first quilt, but I did find a straight edge fan block with 3 wedges in each quarter.  The block is called Baby Aster.  
your quilt is a variation of it! 

bornblesse2

Mar-23

Shelley, Jenny was in the first photo that I showed.  It’s the only one of her that I have.  I done remember if the history is on the back or not....it hasn’t been off the wall in a long time!

it is hand stitched though.