Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

  • 6117
  • 149433
  • 0


What to call it, and where to get it - ?   Help... I'm In Search Of

Started Mar-26 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 866 views.

What do you call those pressing rod things that you use to get the absolute flattest-pressed seams possible?  You know, the ones made of a half-round wooden rod, covered with fabric, and they come in at least a couple of different lengths.  When I search on "pressing bar," I get those flat metal things that are used to make applique vines, etc.  That's not what I'm talking about.    

I thought "Well, I will just make my own."  But I could not find ANY half-round wooden things in the lumber sections at Lowe's or Home Depot.  Plenty of quarter-round, but absolutely NO half-round.  

So, I'm back to trying to find those that are ready-made.  Any ideas?  Didn't y'all use some of them at the retreat where everyone was working on the bargello quilts a few years ago?  Maybe Ellen knows?  Maybe they have them at her quilt shop?  Why can't I think of the name of the thing?  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

From: Pirate (PIRATE_SR)


JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

Plenty of quarter-round, but absolutely NO half-round.  

If you go back to thinking of making your own, glue to quarter rounds together.  Use wood glue that that join will NEVER come apart!z

I did a search on "half round pressing bar" and this was one item that came up:
12" Wooly Pressing Bar | Ewe & Me Wool #8442

12" Seam Pressing Bar : Sewing Parts Online




I don't know, but how long do you need them?  I bought a round dowel and had hubby cut it in half.  But it was a pain in the you know what, so he only cut a foot long  piece, I can send you a foot long piece if you want.

I don't know what they are called either-LOL

3carats (MaryDinFL)

From: 3carats (MaryDinFL)


Look for a SLEEVE ROLL. They are used in tailoring so you don't press a crease into a jacket or coat sleeve. Dritz makes them. Amazon has them.


From: judyinohio


Thanks, Mary. I was about to chime in on this conversation because my DF made one of those sleeve rolls for my DM when she was taking a Bishop Method tailoring class back in the 1960s or 1970s. I have her wool covered pressing ham and a wooden seam clapper (also built by my DF) from those tailoring days, not that I have ever tailored any clothing. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye 

(I think I used the pressing ham once or twice while making a tote or a purse.)


From: bornblesse2


Try the steam is a link.

My shop does not carry them.  But I sure like mine.

I did think of gluing two quarter-rounds together, but I thought I would be doing a lot of pressing RIGHT on that seam where it was glued together, and I didn't know if it would hold up with being steamed so much.  Hmmm.  Thanks.  

I also thought of doing that -- went to Home Depot (or Lowe's - can't remember which) and found a round pole, then went in search of someone to cut it in half length-wise.  When I *finally* found someone who could help (which wasn't easy), their big custom-cutting saw was broken, and they had no idea when it would be fixed.  I knew it would be a difficult task to do, even for a short one.  

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do already have a sleeve roll.  They are firm, but not as hard as those little fabric-covered half-rounds.  

Ellen:  Thanks for the link!  Just what I was looking for.  I couldn't come up with the right combination of words.  ha!