Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What to call it, and where to get it - ?   Help... I'm In Search Of

Started Mar-26 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 867 views.
judyinohio

Mar-26

Thanks, Mary. I was about to chime in on this conversation because my DF made one of those sleeve rolls for my DM when she was taking a Bishop Method tailoring class back in the 1960s or 1970s. I have her wool covered pressing ham and a wooden seam clapper (also built by my DF) from those tailoring days, not that I have ever tailored any clothing. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye 

(I think I used the pressing ham once or twice while making a tote or a purse.)

bornblesse2

Mar-26

Try the steam stick.....here is a link.

https://www.thestripstick.com/

My shop does not carry them.  But I sure like mine.

I did think of gluing two quarter-rounds together, but I thought I would be doing a lot of pressing RIGHT on that seam where it was glued together, and I didn't know if it would hold up with being steamed so much.  Hmmm.  Thanks.  

I also thought of doing that -- went to Home Depot (or Lowe's - can't remember which) and found a round pole, then went in search of someone to cut it in half length-wise.  When I *finally* found someone who could help (which wasn't easy), their big custom-cutting saw was broken, and they had no idea when it would be fixed.  I knew it would be a difficult task to do, even for a short one.  

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do already have a sleeve roll.  They are firm, but not as hard as those little fabric-covered half-rounds.  

Ellen:  Thanks for the link!  Just what I was looking for.  I couldn't come up with the right combination of words.  ha!  

Thanks for the photos and link.  I have never seen one of those covered with the gray wool felt before!  That is great.  Not what I had envisioned, but still great!  

Of course, I remember when it was still difficult to find gray wool pressing mats that didn't cost an arm and a leg.  I remember my LQS telling me they were selling so fast, they couldn't keep them in stock - that was when they were relatively new, and I couldn't believe the price.  Yikes!  Now you can find them everywhere, for a much more reasonable price.  

CC (ccase5)

Mar-26

I've heard them called a Clapper I think.

And "Ewe and Me" - what a cute name for a business that sells wool things!

Thanks - I followed that link and found out that the ONE quilt shop here in San Angelo sells them - wow!  Thanks again.  (I have only been in there once since I moved here, and was not looking for that specific item when I was in there.)