Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

almost a milestone - 142 novelty quilts   General Discussion

Started Apr-11 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1019 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-12

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

She did scan them but her file names leave something to be desired (things like "people I don't know"

Ah yes. Naming files.  Especially photos.

My naming convention has been  "YYYY-MM-DD description" so that they will sort chronologically in a directory.  It also helps when you can kinda/sorta remember when a picture might have been taken.  

judyinohio

Apr-12

If I had looked at my keyboard I would have figured that out but it still needed an editing job. Thanks.

I do have a brand new wide-bed scanner, but I have boxes and boxes of "loose" Instamatic prints and a few Polaroids that I don't want to deal with the scanning part.  I bought the large frame scanner especially to scan pages of old photo scrapbooks and some larger photo prints.  

There are also several VHS tapes that I would like to have converted to digital videos (MP4, I think, is the standard format most of those companies use).  

BTW, my large flatbed scanner is an EPSON WF-7820.  I didn't have ANY printer before, so glad I finally got it for that too.  So far, so good, but haven't had it for very long.  

latterberry

Apr-13

I remember when Webshots went out of business.  I had a ton of photos on there too, My son helped me get them moved because I was such a technology challenged person and couldn't figure it out.  Now I use googlephotos so they are all out in some cloud somewhere.  I am so sorry you lost so many pictures--just heart breaking.

latterberry

Apr-13

I have all my photos on my google account too and remember a few months ago getting some notification about how much of my "space" I have used and if you go over you have to pay.  I did go through a bunch of the photos and deleted a lot.   My dh did copy them all to a jump drive that is in my fire safe so I do have access to them if that "cloud" decides to rain.  My first few years of quilting, I took actual phots and kept in an album. I do enjoy flipping through a book rather than scrolling through the computer screen.

agreed.  I like having physical records too.  not sure why but I really do prefer paper, having something in my hands.  At 1st I was thinking I'd just rely on the blog, but I've changed my mind.  Same at work when reviewing something, I think I do a better job of catching errors when I can put a pencil on it - old school habit I'm guessing.

judyinohio

Apr-13

I agree with you 100% on physical records; in my case it is a collection of fat three ring binders. This kind of record is so easy to create and then easy to access when you need to jog your memory.

I keep a "table of contents" page on the cover of each of my notebooks so it was very easy to count up a total of quilts, wall hangings, etc. created since 1993. Not going to ever overtake you, Dee, but I have a respectable total of 129.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-14

Wow!  You are productive.  And almost all of those quilts were made while you were working a full-time job.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-14

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

avoiding finishing our taxes -

I've been avoiding that also.  Will get that done in the next week, I hope.  Since we now have to May 15th, I have more time to procrastinate.