Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

almost a milestone - 142 novelty quilts   General Discussion

Started Apr-11 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 982 views.

today has been a day of avoiding.  avoiding work, avoiding cleaning, avoiding yard work, avoiding working on the house plans, avoiding staring a new sewing project.  But mostly avoiding finishing our taxes - the thing that really needs to be done.  I know I don't like the answer ($$$$$) so I'm avoiding.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-11

Dee, that's *awesome*!  It's great to be able to look back on what you've accomplished and realize that you really HAVE done a lot!

Thanks Shelley. It is fun to look back aso and see how much I have improved, how my design and fabric choices have improved. Some of those early ones were truely awful. One even had rainbow satin binding with puffy batting. Chringe.

I also ran across a few i had forgotten about that I want to make again.  Also realized that I had not updated my physical scrapbook with photos since 2018. I think perhaps I was planning to use the blog but I decided I do still like having the physical scrapbook with my notes, sizes and EQ print out along with the final photo. So I spent the evening doing that. Now all 3 records (pgysical, spreadsheet &blog) are in synch and up to date, at least on the novelties. I still need to update the Other binder, all I have are my phone photos and my posts here on those.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-12

I hear ya on letting documentation lapse.  

My blog & webpages were originally intended to be a "notes to me" on my quilts so that when I made a physical album of them, all the information & photos would be there.  Then it turned into "notes to everyone" and "don't repeat these mistakes"  :-)   Part of my quilting process included the webpage, the blog, and forum announcements of new content.  Sometime in 2016, I became filled with ennui and a huge case of "meh" and just stopped the documentation.  

I continued to have computer directory entries but not formal documentation.  That means ... sigh ... 5 years of quilting projects to document.  The kind of notes I took will determine the level of detail I will be able to reconstruct.  I rather suspect that more than a few projects will have scant information.  <shrug>  It is what it is.

HOWEVER!!!!  I do have a long-term quilt project actually finished!!  I finally got it bound & labeled!   I plan on taking more photos tomorrow when the lighting is better and sharing the project with y'all.

I had been documenting all my longarm customer and my own quilts on Webshots and had tons and tons of photos.............by the time I found out Webshots was going away I spent a few days franticly trying to figure out how to move all those photos...........well that never happened so all the photos went off to some cyber universe never to be seen by me again!!!!!

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-12

wow...you are prolific! and the I-Spy Queen!

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-12

Sometimes  updating the blog just seems to get away from us. I go from lots of posts... to really dry spells..

Can't wait to see your finished project!

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-12

Aw man...that sucks that you lost all those photos.. Really hate it when you count on the promises of a company and some other group takes them over and nullifies that agreement..

judyinohio

Apr-12

Oh, what a heartbreaker story that is, Ami. All of your hundreds (thousands?) of photos gone with the click of someone else's finger?!

oh I remember the panic when webshots went down.  That's awful that you lost so much.  Fortunately I didn't have near that many photos on there.  I was able to pull off the ones I wanted to keep, at least the ones of my own quilts.  I think I lost the quilt shows though.  I can tell when that happened because there is a bunch of photos loaded at the same time on my google account.  I need to spend some time and down load the critical ones to my backup hard drive.  I rely on google photos way too much as my phone backup.  I have printed copies of most of my quilts and now copies on the blog, but then there are all those other photos (pets & kids).  At some point google photos is going to tell me I have too many  and have to pay something.  Or they will get hacked and I'll lose stuff that way.  a project for another weekend.  I also wonder about how to backup my blog.  Wonder if I could print the entire thing to some massive pdf?

edited to add - I just tried printing the blog to PDF - it worked great, very clean and easy to read.  But I think I have to do it one at a time.  that will take some time but probably worth it.  After the webshots debacle I worry about blogger going away or getting corrupted.