Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

new FB account just to look at quilt pretties - not so anonymous   Off-Topic Chat

Started Apr-15 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 751 views.

As many of you may remember I dropped off FB as it was becoming too much for me.  so I stopped cold turkey a couple of months ago.  But I have missed seeing the pretty quilts in the quilt groups.  So yesterday I set up a new account to rejoin a couple of quilt groups and used my phone and not giving an email .  But apparently that didn't matter - they knew immediately who I was and suggested several of my previous friends.   And today my daughter got a friend suggestion for my new semi-anonymous account.   Of course she recognized the quilt I used as my profile picture, and my not so clever name.  Ah well.  

Edited to add - I did find out the Cabbage Rose quilt shop in Fort Worth is shutting down after 24 years in business.  Very sad but I'm not surprised.  The owner has been complaining for a couple of years now about how much it costs to run a brick/mortar store.  She's had to move twice in the last 10 years due to the new toll way being built through Fort Worth and I think her rent has gone up every time.  Going to miss them tho, they were a great source for novelties.

judyinohio

Apr-15

So sorry to read that your resistance to FB didn't last forever. It's not a surprise that FB glommed on to you right away though.

I've mentioned that I signed on to FB so that I could read about some polymer clay sites and used a name created by blending some of my great-grandmothers' first and last names; nowadays DH uses FB more than I do because he wanted to be signed up for a private Deck House owners private page.  Once I stopped messing around with polymer clay I went back to FB and deleted all of those claying sites from my FB interests.

Once DH was on the FB site I found that somehow FB knew who I was and they began suggesting people who might be "friends" ... people who are friends of my DD for pete's sake!  The polymer people keep popping up from all over the world ... it's a mess.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-15

My nephew likes to tweak noses.  :-)   He signed up for a FB account long ago for the sole purpose of seeing if he could have an account that absolutely could NOT be found.  And he did it.  I have no idea what his FB user name is, he never comes up as a suggested friend and he says that he never gets any friend suggestions.  He also can't be found on any search.

If you want to have an anonymous account, I can ask him what he did .. which I kinda/sorta think is that he turned off every, single, stinking thing that was even remotely involved in tracking or suggestions.

Do you have to use a real phone?  If not, I suggest 555-1212, with some area code .. yours or not.  That's a universal phone number that is  used for fictitious telephone numbers in North American television shows, filmsvideo games, and other media in order to prevent practical jokers and curious callers from bothering telephone subscribers and organizations by calling telephone numbers they see in works of fiction.

And obviously, on your new FB account, don't accept any friends.  :-)

viola (sissly4)

Apr-15

I remember the Cabbage Rose quilt shop. I was in that shop when was visiting my cousin six years ago.In fact yesterday when I was packing some of my material I saw some material that I bought in that store..I just past a quilt store this afternoon and seen that it was close.

CC (ccase5)

Apr-15

Ha! your anonymity might have lasted longer if you had a new phone and different computer. so many ways of tracing us these days!
oh i will say I have miss typed my phone number and they know it!

I remember you took me to the Cabbage Rose. Sorry to hear they are closing.  Running a small business is hard.

In reply toRe: msg 6

On the FB and other social media stuff. They can find you. I think our cell phones have a way of knowing what we say, they can track us, know everything we do online.

not to complain too much, but this site is too quiet sometimes, there are so few of us left these days.  And work is quiet too - working from home and there are only 5 of us left working.  quiet quiet quiet.  I needed a more chatter. I only re-joined the applique group and a Texas quilters group.  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-16

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

not to complain too much, but this site is too quiet sometimes, there are so few of us left these days.

I hear ya ... but how much do you really want to hear about my scrapbooking on this quilting site?  LOL!

When I am working on my quilting stuff, I do talk about it with y'all.  :-)

Well in my defense I was on the road all day. I am back in Colorado and can get back to your quilt Monday. I had not planned to be gone so long but life happend.