Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

help needed on deciding frame color - red or green   General Discussion

Started Sep-6 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1050 views.

I think I know which fabric I would want (the more muted of each) but I cannot decide if red or green would be better.  Each block will have a frame, separated by black sashing.  The frames will be narrower than shown in the pictures by the amount of the seam allowances, but it really will impact the overall look of the quilt.  I'm having trouble deciding.  Note there will be one more block, a long green garland across the top as well.  

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-6

The red looks nicely dramatic!  With the garland in green, I wouldn't go with the sashings in green too..

Love, love, love the green. I think the red draws too much attention to the sashing and not the beautiful blocks.

Well that is exactly what I was worried about, the red overpowering the rest.  I like the red best, but I don't want it to detract from the blocks.  I've put so much work into the applique & embroidery.  But when I add the green garland that will be a LOT of green.  I think I'm going to go ahead and glue down the leaves for the garland, but not sew them, then add them to this photo before I decide.  That way I can get a better idea of the overall.  There will be more black than shown here. so that will help some too.  It is going to be very green with that garland.

the other thing is there will be double lines.  lots of the sashing regardless of which I decide.  Here is the original layout.  I think the greens I used are truer/brighter greens than she did.

I love green, but the blocks already feature a lot of green, and then there is the black background.  I prefer the red, just because it makes each block stand out, and I also think it needs the red to lighten it up a bit, and make it pop.  With the muted green, it is really dark overall.  So, I would vote for red, FWIW.  

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-6

how about a wee sashing of red?  or maybe a red/green combo? 

or red/white stripe (candy canes?)

I think I'm going to go ahead and glue down the garland, trim the blocks to size and sew one of each, then look again.  I'm wondering if perhaps doing a mix would look ok - kind of like picture frames on a black background.  We'll see.  I need to figure out the math to trim these blocks - kind of a tetris puzzle.

In reply toRe: msg 7

here is another thing against the red, I have another Christmas quilt with red sashing.  Not sure I want another.  decisions decisions!

Mishii

Sep-6

What about gold for the sashing?
Mishii said:

What about gold for the sashing

OMG!  You are a trouble maker... lol

I'll cut a strip and give it a look. stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes