Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

help needed on deciding frame color - red or green   General Discussion

Started Sep-6 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1029 views.

I love green, but the blocks already feature a lot of green, and then there is the black background.  I prefer the red, just because it makes each block stand out, and I also think it needs the red to lighten it up a bit, and make it pop.  With the muted green, it is really dark overall.  So, I would vote for red, FWIW.  

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-6

how about a wee sashing of red?  or maybe a red/green combo? 

or red/white stripe (candy canes?)

I think I'm going to go ahead and glue down the garland, trim the blocks to size and sew one of each, then look again.  I'm wondering if perhaps doing a mix would look ok - kind of like picture frames on a black background.  We'll see.  I need to figure out the math to trim these blocks - kind of a tetris puzzle.

In reply toRe: msg 7

here is another thing against the red, I have another Christmas quilt with red sashing.  Not sure I want another.  decisions decisions!

Mishii

Sep-6

What about gold for the sashing?
Mishii said:

What about gold for the sashing

OMG!  You are a trouble maker... lol

I'll cut a strip and give it a look. stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

Mishii

Sep-6

I just like gold on Christmas stuff with black. Looks more….elegant maybe?

My reds are always too red and seems to make it look more juvenile, but I don’t have a very good red stash so there is that.

CC (ccase5)

Sep-6

OH gold! I still have some cotton lame' I bought at a JoAnn's years ago. Love it for a bit of Christmas glitter in a quilt.

the red I'm thinking about is more of a muted burgundy, not purple but not orange.  definitely not true red.  The gold I tried (I have a couple that read pretty gold)  look too yellow against the black.  And I have a definite predisposition against yellow.  I don't exactly have a favorite color but yellow is my least favorite.  Yellow is the color of nausea for me.  I think it's all those years of driving across the desert with my dad smoking.  Irrational but there it is.  I can only take yellow in very small doses.

And I really don't like the green fabric I have.  I like the color but it is a typical calico which doesn't fit with the rest of the quilt's semi-Victorian feel.  So I would need to go shopping.  Tipping towards that red.

judyinohio

Sep-6

Dull muted gold would be perfect but since you flat out reject that color, then it has to be red.

Stand back and look through a door peekaboo viewer thingamabob and you will see that there is already a lot of green so green sashing would be too, too much.