Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What do you do with all of the quilts you make?   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started 10/27/21 by latterberry; 1529 views.
In reply toRe: msg 3
latterberry

10/28/21

MelRN said:

gave some to somebody for charity recently and they didn't even say thanks so I was a bit peeved

I've had that happen a few times and it is frustrating.  How long does it take to drop a quick note?

latterberry

10/28/21

Your lucky find sounds pretty.  Do we get to see a photo?

Many years ago I went to an estate auction sale whos  my mom said was a quilter.  That's where I got my Singer 301 in a beautiful cabinet for $1!.  I went back later to see this huge pile of stuff that did not sell.  I poked around a bit and looked in this box to find a hand pieced full sized Storm at Sea quilt top ready to be hauled to the dump!  I wish I could have looked more but the garbage truck was right there.  I would certainly rather my thing went to Goodwill than the dump!.  I still think about what other treasures were pitched.

MelRN

10/28/21

Agreed! Or even look at someone with the two words. LOL!!! Oh, well. I'm sure there are other places that would be thankful to receive them.

Contraryqltr

10/28/21

I was a reluctant convert to quilting when my friend dragged me to a guild meeting, but it soon became my hobby of choice.  The first several years were spent learning and making not so great quilts for family.  As I became better at quilting, I 'replaced' some of the earlier gifts to family with nicer quilts.  Once friends and others were gifted quilts, I was kind of at a loss, but like someone else mentioned, just the process of making them brings me so much happiness!  I now rarely make any for family except for new additions such as nieces and nephews' babies.  And, somewhere over the last 20 years of quilting, it became a ministry, so when I feel directed to make a comfort quilt for someone, I do. 

So I have ministry quilts done, waiting for the recipient to be revealed to me, plus a few quilts that I just liked the pattern and had the fabric so I made them for enjoyment and they are stored in a bin - only 3 tho'!! 

Oh, and regarding not being thanked or shown any appreciation at all, I've tried to ignore that, although it's hard sometimes.  I just try to remind myself that I'm the lucky one for getting to make a quilt and gift it and try not to let the annoyance get to me.

Mary in Michigan

I still haven't made quilts for all my family members yet, so there's that.  My goal for 2022 is to use up more fabric, and finish more quilts to give away to family members AND my quilt group's charity, Shriner's Hospital in Houston.  

In reply toRe: msg 16
Midkid5

10/28/21

I think that sometimes we may have to read between the lines to hear the thank you. Whether gifting or donating, I accept acompliment on the beauty of the quilt as equal to a thank you.

Jo

latterberry

10/28/21

I love your generous attitude!

judyinohio

10/28/21

It is hard when you gift a quilt to someone who has no grasp of the effort that goes in to making a quilt.

Once I wished I had had taken my credit card to a big box store and bought an inexpensive "blanket" as a gift for someone because the person had no understanding of the hours of work I had put into the quilt I had made. I rolled my eyes at DH because it was one of his relatives; I learned my lesson to select quilt recipients more wisely in the future.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

10/28/21

Judy, you and I are alike with respect to giving our quilts to others.

I have been reading and admiring other's generosity of spirit.  I also give quilt to charity .. I have a favorite one near me that I donate to.  But to family members?  Sadly, I discriminate.  Honestly, I have NO idea who, if anyone in my family or Mr Pirate's family appreciates handmade quilts.  If I do discern that someone might be appreciative, then that person could get a quilt.  But just hand them out willy-nilly to all family members just because they are family?  Nope.  Not gonna happen now.

I used to be more "giving of spirit" when I was younger.  I had stitched a counted-cross stitch what-not box for a sister-in-law.  While it wasn't a terribly convoluted design, it *did* take me quite a bit of time to stitch it out and assemble it.  I was thanked for it but the next time I saw it in their house, it was obvious that the entire box had been submerged in water.  To say I had my feelings hurt is an understatement.  That family has never received another homemade thing from me again.  Yep, I am just that petty.

I *love* piecing the tops, as evidenced by the stockpile of unquilted tops I have hanging in a closet.  The top accumulate faster than I quilt them, especially now, since I'm concentrating my time and efforts on creating family heritage photo scrapbooks.   I do look forward to FINALLY finishing these scrapbooks and returning to quilting.  Mr. PIrate does ask me what am I going to do with "all of this"?   He still doesn't quite grasp the concept that I simply adore the creation ... the end use is irrelevant in many cases.  :-)