Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What do you do with all of the quilts you make?   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Oct-27 by latterberry; 1476 views.

I guess she is making them for some random people in the future!  Some who shop at estate sales or thrift stores will be able to use and enjoy them, probably at a real bargain!  

judyinohio

Oct-27

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

Some who shop at estate sales or thrift stores will be able to use and enjoy them, probably at a real bargain!

Probably at what we would consider scandalously low prices ....  but that quilt maker will be long dead and gone so it won't matter to her.

all of the above.  my I spy quilts I make just because I want to try a pattern or feel the need to sew.  I keep the ones I really like as future gifts.  All my daughters pregnant friends have received them as well as my friends I've given them as grandma quilts (for when baby visits).  I have donated quilts (and fabric) to two of the local guilds and they seem extremely appreciative.  There is a local orphanage that takes them, local sheriff also.  I've thought about why I keep making so many, but decided it isn't any different than spending my time on any other hobby.  It is more about the enjoyment I get from creating than the result.  That said, my monthly fabric budget is relatively small.  I wonder about people who use a long armer, that would get awfully expensive for charity quilts.

Last December, I went with my sister to Pigeon Forge, TN and we did the thrift shop tour, and I bought a perfectly lovely wall hanging quilt with 12 little (4.5" X 5.75") paper-pieced kimono in Asian fabrics, with sashing and cornerstones, and the fabrics go perfectly with the color of my walls.  And it even has a hanging sleeve and a label with the name of the woman who made it, and it says 2003-06.  It's not immediately apparent whether it came from somewhere in TN or another location, as that info is not on the label.  I cannot imagine why it was in that thrift store instead of on the wall of one of her family members, but who knows?  Maybe she didn't have any kids or GKs or other relatives who wanted it.  Anyway, I am now really enjoying it.  

Midkid5

Oct-27

If quilts could talk think of all the details of history we would have.  It may be that she changed her decor, or perhaps it was a gift and that person changed their decor. Or perhaps the family donated it when having to go thru all of mom's thing.  Thrift store are not necessary a bad place for a quilt to end up, example is the piece you now have decorating you wall and you understand the work that went into it.

I have started putting the city and state, as well as the sizes on the label, I figure the size might help in knowing where to donate/ who to give it to.

Jo

In reply toRe: msg 1
latterberry

Oct-28

Sounds like we all do about the same thing.  Gift, donate, and save a few.  Quilters are generally quite generous with their talents and their quilts get to e enjoyed by so many others.  I also like to keep a few on hand for those occasions when you need a gift or something.  I keep a few baby and nap quilts and it has come in quite handy at times.  The other day I got a call to ask if I had anything I could donate to a fund raiser silent auction for an ill community member.  Sure did!  Thanks for sharing.

In reply toRe: msg 3
latterberry

Oct-28

MelRN said:

gave some to somebody for charity recently and they didn't even say thanks so I was a bit peeved

I've had that happen a few times and it is frustrating.  How long does it take to drop a quick note?

latterberry

Oct-28

Your lucky find sounds pretty.  Do we get to see a photo?

Many years ago I went to an estate auction sale whos  my mom said was a quilter.  That's where I got my Singer 301 in a beautiful cabinet for $1!.  I went back later to see this huge pile of stuff that did not sell.  I poked around a bit and looked in this box to find a hand pieced full sized Storm at Sea quilt top ready to be hauled to the dump!  I wish I could have looked more but the garbage truck was right there.  I would certainly rather my thing went to Goodwill than the dump!.  I still think about what other treasures were pitched.

MelRN

Oct-28

Agreed! Or even look at someone with the two words. LOL!!! Oh, well. I'm sure there are other places that would be thankful to receive them.

Contraryqltr

Oct-28

I was a reluctant convert to quilting when my friend dragged me to a guild meeting, but it soon became my hobby of choice.  The first several years were spent learning and making not so great quilts for family.  As I became better at quilting, I 'replaced' some of the earlier gifts to family with nicer quilts.  Once friends and others were gifted quilts, I was kind of at a loss, but like someone else mentioned, just the process of making them brings me so much happiness!  I now rarely make any for family except for new additions such as nieces and nephews' babies.  And, somewhere over the last 20 years of quilting, it became a ministry, so when I feel directed to make a comfort quilt for someone, I do. 

So I have ministry quilts done, waiting for the recipient to be revealed to me, plus a few quilts that I just liked the pattern and had the fabric so I made them for enjoyment and they are stored in a bin - only 3 tho'!! 

Oh, and regarding not being thanked or shown any appreciation at all, I've tried to ignore that, although it's hard sometimes.  I just try to remind myself that I'm the lucky one for getting to make a quilt and gift it and try not to let the annoyance get to me.

Mary in Michigan