Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Earth Views fabric   General Discussion

Started May-17 by sueinIL; 589 views.
sueinIL

May-17

Have any of you bought the Earth Views fabric?  It was designed by Karen Nyberg, who was an astronaut and quilter on the Space Station.  She designed a line of fabrics for Robert Kaufman, which are views of earth, sea, forests,  mountains  and so on, as she saw them from the Space Sstation.  DD and I each bought a 12-fat quarter bundle of them, and now I'm wondering what to do with them.  There are a couple of patterns designed for them, but I'm not in love with either of them.  One is called "Cupola Views" using a circle in the middle and 6 fabrics forming a hexagon around the center.  Another pattern is kind of an orbital oval of fabrics on a light blue background.  

Have you seen the fabrics?  What would you do with them?  I'd like to use larger pieces in a way that shows off the beauty of the earth.  Ideas?

Sue in IL

judyinohio

May-17

Well, I was curious and so I looked online for the fabrics. I found this:

https://www.fatquartershop.com/earth-views-karen-nyberg-robert-kaufman-fabrics-fat-quarter-bundle

Frankly, I'm stumped about how to use them. I wish you good luck in coming up with a clever idea.

I have not bought those, but they are very pretty.  I did buy a few "outer space" fabrics for a small challenge quilt by my local quilt club, but they are different from those.  I also already had some blue, brown and white FQs that would coordinate nicely with those to make quilts that would be suitable for men and boys.  (In a recent charity project to make quilts that are not too "girly" for boys who are aging out of the foster care system and graduating from high school, it was difficult to find a nice collection like this.)  Of course, some people might think everything I'm saying here is sexist, but I don't really care what "some people" think of my analysis.  LOL  For this project, they told us to make some more "masculine" quilts because some young men don't like flowers and flourishes and such.  But there are also young ladies who do not like things that are too "girly" either.  So we had to strive to make plenty of both kinds.  These would have been great fabrics to use for that.  Hmmm, maybe for next year's quilts?  haha -- Way to justify such a purchase!      

sueinIL

May-17

Our fat quarter bundle was only 12 pieces, not the whole set, so the price was reasonable.  I think we got them from Missouri Star.  They are very pretty, so I'm sure something will call my name!

Sue in IL

Contraryqltr

May-19

They kind of look like batiks to me.  Also, they would be good for a log cabin - I like to use unexpected fabrics in traditional patterns. 

If you could look at them as colors, hues and textures instead of the description of what they actually are representative of, I think that would help you to not limit your options on how to use them.

Mary in Michigan

sueinIL

May-19

That's a good idea!  I haven't made any decisions yet.  The label says there are Kona fabrics that match these prints, so I could expand the range considerably. I wonder what they will eventually become!

Sue in IL

tuckyquilter

May-19

No, but the designs look like what I watch on afarTV on YouTube.  AfarTV has a live feed from the space station 24/7 as it goes around earth.  Pretty cool and now an astronaut has made it into fabric.  Very Cool.  On my list of "to buy" later.

judyinohio

May-19

Okay, Tuckyquilter, which Afar TV channel do you use to watch live feed from the space station?

I googled afartv and got something from a Hawaiian volcano, scrolled and got some other sites but none were live feeds from the space station.

Can you give us a URL, please?

tuckyquilter

May-20

Here it is.   Just copy and paste in your search window.    www.youtube.com/c/afartv

I watch all kinds of live stuff on YouTube.  Eagles, african watering holes, pandas  etc.  

I found Storm Chasers on this fellows channel:  www.youtube.com/c/RyanHallYall

He often gives the "TAKE COVER" way before the Natl Weather does.  Like with the Andover Tornado.  and Reed Timmer got live footage as I was watching him shoot it. Amazing

Reed Timmer         www.youtube.com/watch?v=8idviVDWkJU       

Vince Waelti            www.youtube.com/c/StormChaserVinceWaelti

Brandon Copic       www.youtube.com/c/BrandonCopic

Chris FL Tornado     www.youtube.com/channel/UCd9PU7D8eH6htvQUg77heJg/featured

I love the Mysteries Channel too:      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqWd3pkat2LzLh26HkHHetA

so if you want any other ways to waste valuable time... ask me... I probably have a "solution"... LOL  

latterberry

May-20

Those fabrics are beautiful!!  I have no suggestions but will be glad to see what someone else can come up with.  Whatever you come up with will be stunning.