Delphi Forums Member Services

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

The Delphi Member Services Forum is for all your membership issues including using Delphi, billing questions, bug reports, and suggestions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I hate it!   Feedback & Wishlist

Started 1/25/18 by Paula (PaulaS44); 9149 views.
Els (misselsa)

2/11/18

Kid (Kidmagnet) said:

The PM section is not Classic or Zeta, Classic and Zeta refer to forum formats.

The PM from chat never got saved untill Zeta chat. Because private messages in chat are "live" I don't think there is a reason for most chat PM's to save them. It is a private chat more than a private message to someone who may or may not be online at that time.

Kid (Kidmagnet)

2/11/18

I totally agree with not saving chat PMs. 

I wonder if there are some that do want them though? I am surprised that people prefer the old PM method where each message is saved separately. 

Els (misselsa)

2/11/18

I like to have the text I  reply to visible when I type a reply, the way it is now. 

I sometimes got a reply long after I posted a PM to someone and it is nice to see what I posted to the person when I read the reply. Before I had to search the sent messages to look for my PM.

RedBV

2/11/18

Which was not actually a needed change . . . except to continue a slow building on the zeta format and slow phase out of the classic format . . .

Frankly, Delphi thought that if they made a change with new bells and whistles, that catered to folks who liked playing with and using bells and whistles . . . there would be a large influx of more paying members . . . even across the internet that notion doesn't play out for a number of reasons . . . and unless and until that dynamic comes about (bells and whistles that folks want and are willing to pay for) the majority of members and internet users will continue not using or wanting such . . . and in many cases disliking such changes . . . be it here on Delphi, at Facebook, etc. . . .

As many of us tried to point out when zeta was being created . . . Delphi's niche is discussion and is a premier format for that . . . it is not Facebook, Instagram, twitter, etc. . . . for me (and others have talked) with using FB or twitter, a discussion on them is not unlike a regression to the old style line by line staircase style of discussion . . . along with bells and whistles . . . that many users find cumbersome, etc., and dislike both in comparison to Delphi classic . . .

For folks that wanted fancy pages, graphic's, etc., and always wanted to tinker with such . . . they could do it on their own or engage the services of theme makers to do that, by using CSS, etc. . . . however, for many many folks they weren't inclined to do so . . . often just interested in only a signature to add to their posts . . .

Personally, doubt that Delphi and the folks that wanted something new . . . didn't bother to look around and see the number of forums that "didn't use" and "didn't really want" some new format . . . being happy with the classic format . . .

Yes, there were requests by some of the above folks for tweaks to classic . . . for example - such as being able to delete entire PM conversations . . . but not an entire change to the format . . .

Anyway, this is not the first time that Delphi has made a change that delights only a few . . . and that has been a problem for Delphi all along - pleasing a few at the expense of the majority of the base . . .

All in all, it is not the notion of change and getting used to it . . . it is the fact of why change to something and the inherent learning curve . . . when for most folks it really adds nothing to why they are here and pay in the first place . . .

Anyway . . .

RedBV

2/11/18

Why be surprised . . .

For many folks a PM is just that, a private message now and then of info they didn't want in an open forum for the world to see . . . not a private discussion of PM after PM after PM . . .

Personally, what should have been looked at is offering a new feature . . . private discussions . . . and left the old PM format alone . . . not unlike when Delphi added the feature of blogs, that many folks don't use . . . over all the "guest book" tab could have been converted into "private discussions" . . . can't count the number of profiles (since the addition of guest book) that have nothing or next to nothing under the "guest book" tab . . .

In other words - click on a profile and there is the choice of PM and Private Discussion . . . and to access the private discussions click on the tab . . .

All in all - a concerted evaluation of the classic format . . . converting/deleting little used features . . . and making classic even better than it is . . . staying true to the reason for Delphi Forums in the first place . . . not a totally new format and adding in features that emulate, for example, the message function of Facebook or some such . . .

Anyway . . .

Kid (Kidmagnet)

2/11/18

Yes it was a bit clunky lol

Westlake56

2/12/18

I just tried your suggesting of holding down the shift key when pressing enter to move down a line. It still sent the message. Did I miss something?

Dan

Kid (Kidmagnet)

2/12/18

I've requested that it be added as has at least one other person. I'll re-vocalize right now!

@Cstar1 May we please have the ability to paragraph.

In reply toRe: msg 36
Risa (Risa25)

2/14/18

I find it interesting that all the PMs I wanted to keep that are now lost were when the forum was still in the Classic format not the zeta--perhaps that's why they didn't survive the transition? Could they still be on a server somewhere? she said hopefully
Cstar1
Staff

2/15/18

Forums shouldn't have any impact on PM's. They're separate systems.

Try clicking on the name of the person you were exchanging PMs with, and open their mini-profile. Then click on Send Private Message. Your entire Conversation (all messages to and from) with them should open, with the oldest messages at the top.