ShowBiz

Hosted by Showtalk

Everything ShowBiz: TV, Film, People, Books and News for over 25 years!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

American Idol 2020   TV by Title (Unscripted)

Started Apr-16 by Showtalk; 161 views.
Showtalk
Host

Apr-16

Even though we don’t follow it here like we used to, I thought it was interesting that they are talking about continuing the season from each contestants homes.  

Showtalk
Host

Apr-20

It’s sad, they filled four hours this week with reruns of all auditions of the top 20.  What a waste of air space.

Tony W. (TONYW1)

Apr-20

Yeah, I think the original plan was for one recap episode followed by the start of the live shows. They added the second recap show to give them time to prepare the upcoming pseudo-live shows.

Showtalk
Host

Apr-20

Are you planning to watch?  I already have a few favorites.

Tony W. (TONYW1)

Apr-20

A few more details about the revamped American Idol live shows:

https://ew.com/tv/american-idol-top-20-home-performances-preview-elimination-twist/

Watching that video, it sounds like the top 20 will be immediately reduced to a top 10 after just one week of performances.

I haven't watched recent seasons as religiously as I used to. This year I have seen a few of the early episodes and I do have some favorites...

Olivia - The girl who sang "Proud Mary" in that loud yellow outfit.

Julia - Sang her own original song "Growing Pains".

Sophia - The girl who changed her last name from Wackerman.

Arthur - His version of "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" is the best thing I've heard on Idol in a long time.

Showtalk
Host

Apr-20

We have the same favorites, plus I like the girl with two last names, one is Smith.  I’m going to read that now.

Showtalk
Host

Apr-20

It sounds like they are going to shorten the show intentionally due to the difficulty of producing it.  It also means only those on the East Coast will be able to vote.  Or will they keep voting open long enough for everyone to get a chance?  

Tony W. (TONYW1)

May-11

Wow, they really are accelerating this season. Next week is the finale already! So they made cuts from 20 to 11 to 7, and then to a winner? That's not a whole lot of time to get to know the singers. I have to wonder how popular the winner could possibly be without getting much exposure?

Showtalk
Host

May-11

I think it all depends who wins.  Jonny is an amazing songwriter.  I think he should win because he has the most potential to be a household name.  Singing at home shows us just how much the studio performances are enhanced by bands, background singers, lighting and costumes. At home, they all seem like kids with decent voices, where on a big stage they seem like stars.  I really thought that this year a woman would win, but the voting odds are against it. There have only been 6 female winners and 11 males.