Stay at Home Moms Cafe

Hosted by scapermom

Welcome! This group was created to allow SAHM's to give each other ideas, advice, and support. We’ll even have debates to allow you to stretch your mommy brain! So come on in and enjoy the fun! Please note that the group is strictly for stay at home moms. Thank you.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Tuesday, February 4th - To Do

Started Feb-4 by scapermom; 146 views.
scapermom

Feb-4

What’s going on today?

In reply toRe: msg 1
scapermom

Feb-4

Got DD up, fed, packed & out. Wondering how she’s going to manage to get herself up when she’s away at college next year? Though hopefully she won’t have to get up at 5:30 am which should help...no?

Worked on putting all the financial packages she’s gotten so far in the spreadsheet i made. Still waiting on Rutgers (they say mid feb to may). So far it’s looking like I need at least a part time job, especially if DH wants to retire at any point. The taxes here are really what eat away at any savings, it’s ridiculous! 

Laundry & dog are done. Raining this morning so no walkies til this afternoon.

Going to try to up the workout to 20 minutes this week. I’ve been doing the 15 minute mile ones. Which are fast paced at least but hopefully the longer ones add in some strength training.

Then I have vacuuming to finish up and calls to make. 

Later I’ll pick up a basket my friend offered for DDs school auction. May stop by the Whole Foods while over there.

Should spend some time going through emails if I can, they are piling up.

Taco’s for dinner for me & DD since DH is doing a double today.

friedchickn

Feb-4

I stopped getting up with dd senior year....figured she needed to know how to get fed and out of the house on her own.  Maybe start now....it's never too late.

Speaking of which...we've been agonizing over housing issues for the summer and next year.  DD has an internship in NYC this summer and then needs to find housing off campus for next year.  Dh has been leading the charge, which as you can imagine was not going well....and then we both had an epiphany.  By junior year, we had been living together (officially and not so officially) and were on our 3rd apartment.  Noone helped us, yes we made mistakes, but we had survived and thrived because of it.  So....we told dd our budget and told her to figure it out on her own.  We'd advise and provide feedback if she wanted...but ultimately it had to be her doing it.  And ya know what....she's taking a very logical approach to it so far...

friedchickn

Feb-4

It's a travel day...and because dh is gone, it's also a dog travel day.  He's good in the car but it's a long day for both of us because of it.  Sigh.

So....ended up making home fries with delicata squash, onions and red potatoes to have with my eggs and I'll tell ya....sooooo yummy.  Packed my lunch.  Still need to pack the dog, just in case....even though I know he won't eat on the road.

Downloaded some interesting podcasts....been listening to some zero waste blogs...so far haven't gotten much out of them except I should give composting another go and I've decided I will no longer get receipts for gas (1/2 the time the damn pumps don't have paper in the machine anyways...so it's not a big stretch).  Baby steps i suppose.

When i get home....gonna do today's workout...which after a brief glance looks like a struggle fest.  I can't do a hand stand push up or a pull up....so I'm gonna have to read the notes to see the modifications.

Dinner will be the other 1/2 of the butternut squash mac and cheese.

And I'll have to finish handwashing the bras I have soaking...

That's it...not very exciting

scapermom

Feb-4

Didn’t think of the housing part for internships. That may be a pro for DD going to school in NYC. In her field, it’s either going to be there or in LA (over DHs dead body tho). 

So true about not getting any help. I never even went to see the school I went to prior to going there! Why is everything so out of control now?

I did think of that - letting her get up & out on her own, but in my case if she misses the bus then she’ll need a lift to school from me anyway. I wish I could go back and read/figure out the stupid jersey driving rules. I would have forced her to go to the class in sophmore year. 

My niece is also getting off campus housing next year with a group of girls. My SIL went with them to look and signed the lease for them. They had to get it done early since it’s in a beach town.

scapermom

Feb-4

That food sounds really good! My mom used to make a pepper and onion frittata and she’d also put potatoes in there on occasion. So good! 

You reminded me I’m going to need to find a kennel again for the dog. When we do those accepted student day trips. One where she’ll actually eat. She does eat when we take her places, as long as we put it in her holobon - it’s really a puzzle thing for treats, but she likes to eat out of it. She likes the challenge I guess?

friedchickn

Feb-4

Well. She found housing at NYU for the summer. It’s an apartment style with 4 bedrooms. She’ll be one of them. It has a kitchen which she desperately wanted, it’s close to her internship and within the budget. Win win.

You could still let your Dd get up on her own. Obviously if she misses the bus she’d get you up to drive her. 

scapermom

Feb-5

Glad to hear the housing is settled. Even with the kitchen, there are so many great restaurants in that area. That’s pretty much the only thing we liked about visiting that school though. Lol! 

Good point! I’ll consider it. I keep getting Fair ratings for sleep on my fitbit which is one of the reasons why I can’t lose these last 10 lbs!

friedchickn

Feb-5

There are great restaurants. But I’m not finding a good tour of NY. It was either a meal plan or grocery money. And she’s not a fan of cafeteria food...I mean who is. And we weren’t even sure of her hours, so there was that too. She’s happier when she cooks for herself. 

scapermom

Feb-5

Tour? I’ve seen that red double decker bus that people do. If you go on Groupon there are deals on it too. There are also a bunch of odd tours like backstage broadway. They donated to DDs school last year. I can look up the name if you’re interested. I’m more familiar with midtown than downtown. But let me know if you have questions.

Yeah I can totally see the food being a problem with my dd as well. She has only bought her lunch at school a handful of times. How is she going to eat cafeteria food day in/day out when away at school? She’s too thin already, she needs that freshman 15. Oh well, there’s always fast food on campus as well (not that she likes that much either - she had salad with grilled chicken for our last mall food court lunch). Some of the colleges she’s looking at have kitchens the students can use, but I doubt DD would take the time to prep a meal. One of my many worries on the growing list of them as it all gets nearer...