End of Day thoughts and current events

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A tale of two parks: Enjoying the sun   General Politics

Started May-7 by Sundawncer; 355 views.
Sundawncer

May-7

A tale of two parks: Enjoying the sun in wealthy Manhattan, social distancing under police scrutiny in the Bronx.

Thousands of New Yorkers flocked to city parks all over the five boroughs last weekend to enjoy sunny spring weather and temperatures in the 70s. While still in the midst of a global coronavirus pandemic, many city residents went out to exercise, meet friends or get together with family members who have been in lockdown for weeks. Mayor Bill de Blasio even praised New Yorkers for practicing proper social distancing outdoors. “The big story here is what New Yorkers have done right,” he said Sunday. “The vast majority of New Yorkers have really risen to the challenge.”

But not all parts of the city were enjoying the respite equally. In contrast to Central Park in Manhattan, Brooklyn’s Prospect Park and Domino Park along the East River in hip Williamsburg, parks in the Bronx were less occupied. Blogger Ed García Conde, who runs the Instagram page Welcome2TheBronx, posted an image of a police van patrolling St. Mary’s Park in the South Bronx on May 2, the cops inside ensuring that visitors were adhering to social distancing. “This is the largest park in the South Bronx and is generally full,” Conde wrote on the photo’s caption. “But it was relatively empty yesterday despite the warm weather.”

This image was in stark contrast to a viral image Conde also took on May 2, showing Christopher Street Pier, on the edge of Greenwich Village, packed with New Yorkers enjoying the sun, in close proximity without masks. No officers were in sight, according to Conde. In another image Conde took at the same park on May 3, an officer is calmly passing out face masks to visitors. 

Marquise Francis Wed, May 6 4:03 PM GMT-4 

laughing
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/a-tale-of-two-parks-enjoying-the-sun-in-wealthy-manhattan-social-distancing-under-police-scrutiny-in-the-bronx-200329318.html

Tittah

May-9

The USAID PREDICT program - launched in 2009 after the 2005 H5N1 bird flu sparked global fears of an epidemic -- was designed to help identify and combat emerging pandemic threats like coronavirus.

From 2009 to 2019, the PREDICT program identified nearly 1,000 new viruses, including a new strain of Ebola; trained roughly 5,000 people around the world to identify new diseases; and improved or developed 60 research laboratories.

Despite its success, and just months before the emergence of 2019-nCoV, USAID announced that it would cease funding the PREDICT program.

USAID has indicated that it intends to initiate a successor to PREDICT, but with no new details, Senators King and Warren are concerned that critical momentum will be lost.

Clouvux

May-9

The photography in this topic doesn't show any social distancing, I've noticed it all depends where; and seen that the city is run by an uber-lord, pun intended!

anguished

Mel_DJ

May-11

Do as I did this morning, laughing

I sat in the sun for three hours drinking beer!

Ella (Steellar)

May-16

MAYBE THIS WAS THE REASON WHY THE POLICE SHOWED UP?

Police were at park to monitor drinking, ATV driving before shots rang out

Fort Worth police said Monday they attempted to stop people from drinking alcohol, riding ATVs and gathering in large numbers in Village Creek Park Sunday before shots rang out and injured five people.

Five officers were at the park in marked squad vehicles as early as 5:45 p.m. addressing a crowd of about 400 people over police vehicle PA systems, according to a Monday news release. On Sunday, police estimated the crowd to be about 600 people strong.

"We didn’t want to write a bunch of tickets and citations and make everybody mad at us," Buddy Calzada, a Fort Worth Police Department spokesperson said. "Help us. We’re asking for the community’s help to educate other people.”

When the gunshots rang out, some of those same officers rushed to aid the wounded while others searched for a shooter. Police said dashcam footage captured the crowd running away.

All five shooting victims are expected to recover, police said.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=awl9e_1589255633

The police became absolutely city antagonist for a cause!

Bill de Blasio

FAILED NEW YORK!

B0BBI3

May-19

Darn - I was outdoors with my family all day!

It's great to see that my neighbour did the same!

NewsFrea1

Jun-3

The very split second these violent thugs started smashing shops and loot is the moment it became illegal. Some things are loose when organizers tried to stop the violence, but based on what we're seeing in the videos no attempts were made. I'll be expecting some of them get arrested with no charges dropped, and they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

laughing

Berylline

Jun-5

v Nothing of the trouble, destruction and hostilities has to do with any dweller killed to put law into effect. The media gets into the lowest IQ citizens into rage to spread overwhelming anger and dissatisfaction. … dim-witted people are being controlled by the media into to beat all nations into globalized fulfilment. It's not made difficult or hidden from prospects. Some rational thoughts are required.