End of Day thoughts and current events

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Hero Rat honoured for bravery   Nature $ Science

Started Sep-25 by Clouvux; 168 views.
Clouvux

Sep-25

A landmine detection rat has been awarded a gold medal for his "lifesaving bravery and devotion to duty".

Magawa, a giant African pouched rat, has discovered 39 landmines and 28 items of unexploded ordnance since he was trained by charity APOPO which guides rodents to detect landmines and Tuberculosis.

He is the charity's most successful Hero Rat, having cleared more than 141,000 square metres of land - the equivalent of 20 football pitches.

Other hero animals recognised by the charity for their bravery include:
Diesel

The 'hero rat' and other animals honoured for bravery

Emily Cleary Yahoo News UK September 25, 2020

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/the-hero-rat-and-other-animals-honoured-for-bravery-123244755.html

AuntBetsie

Sep-25

I LOVE THIS DOG STORY TOO

Diesel heart_eyes

Jordan Ash, 25, was woken by his dog Diesel in the early hours in May 2016. Diesel – who was rescued by the Ash family after being abandoned as a pup – was barking, scratching and pulling at the duvet, desperate to wake his owner. Jordan immediately knew something was seriously wrong, as Diesel’s behaviour was so out of character. He got up to take him downstairs but, on opening his bedroom door, he was met with a wall of flames only six feet away. He raced to wake up his parents, shutting Diesel in his room to keep him safe.

Unable to use the stairs due to the fire, Jordan helped them escape through a small bedroom window over the kitchen roof. Once they were safe he went back to collect Diesel. At this point he was almost overcome with the smoke and acrid fumes but managed to reach him. He passed Diesel through the open window to his dad and they all climbed down to safety.

Jordan said: “I like to think it was his way of repaying us for rescuing him. Staffies have such a bad reputation but he has the most lovely, placid nature. Diesel undoubtedly saved our lives that night, without him I wouldn’t be standing here today and I will be forever grateful.”

clap

• Edited September 25, 2020 8:26 pm  by  AuntBetsie
In reply toRe: msg 1
BarthaS

Sep-26

Magawa is a standout sniffer: In four years he has helped to clear more than 1.5 million square feet of land – an area about the size of 20 soccer fields.

In the process, he has found 39 land mines and 28 items of unexploded ordnance. In a virtual ceremony Friday, the U.K. charity PDSA gave Magawa its gold medal for his lifesaving work.

BarthaS

Sep-26

The dog video is adorable!!

Life-saving Staffie awarded “animals’ George Cross”

https://youtu.be/_dgMU4OD_bI
PDSA 13 Jun 2017

heart_eyes

Let's not forget SIMON the cat cat

A ship’s mascot during the Chinese civil war in 1949, Simon was on board the Amethyst when communist fire rocked the ship.

In all, the ship sustained more than 50 hits.

Nineteen men, including its captain, were killed in the attack; 27 more were wounded, but Simon survived and, though malnourished, was rescued alive.

He is the only cat to have been honoured with the award.

Samurai (BushMesh)

Sep-29

mouse Mickey Mouse's cousin is jealous!

Last time I saw a smart rat its name was Ratatouille in a Disney movie!

Dot_hoe

Oct-4

All animals have a better sense of danger and weather change.

polinious

Oct-7

At least a Rat and a couple of his friends got it!

Lana (Redneckbab1)

Oct-22

I saved lives - no one gave kudos heart_eyes