Tame the Chaos!

Hosted by Cstar1|Webpage

Whether it's fair weather or foul, hurricane, tornado, blizzard, flood, volcano, climate & fire are the bill of fare here.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cloudy, the sky is gray and white and..    Sky

Started 5/17/05 by Cstar1; 57532 views.
Cstar1
Host

5/17/05

How about a little cloud cover? Or, a little coverage of clouds? Ran across this story about mammatus clouds this morning...

Mammatus clouds often form on the underside of cumulonimbus clouds, but are sometimes seen underneath other clouds as well.

They can appear threatening, but the sinking air required to make these clouds actually indicates weakening of the storm associated with them.

While mammatus clouds usually form beneath weakening thunderstorms, the kinds of thunderstorms that have them at one time contained intense updrafts, which indicates conditions in the area were, and might still be, favorable for severe weather.

more from USA Today

In reply toRe: msg 1
Cstar1
Host

5/22/05

An excellent photo of mammatus clouds.
Silky (silky_43701)

6/6/05

Are you sure that isn't a bowl of popcorn someone turned upside down?

Silk

Cstar1
Host

6/17/05

Here are some truly bizarre cloud photos taken May 24th at Missouri Southern State University. Quite beautiful, oddly sculpted.
In reply toRe: msg 4
Cstar1
Host

12/6/07

These are the most spectacular photos of mammatus clouds I've ever seen.
Those are weird, aren't they!
Cstar1
Host

12/18/07

Yes, they sure are!
Cstar1
Host

8/25/09

My little cellphone photo of mammatus clouds in Denver from last week can't compare to the spectacular photos in the link referenced in this earlier post, but I was pretty impressed that I could get anything from it at all. Don't see mammatus clouds here very often, but they were very pronounced after a storm.

Attachments
In reply toRe: msg 8
Cstar1
Host

1/6/10

Roll cloud in Uraguay. Quite impressive!