General Discussions -  Where have all the cabs gone? (83 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Demented Ol Lady Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-9 7:59 AM 
To: All  (1 of 16) 

New Yorkers struggle to find rides amid taxi shortage, Uber price hikes

It could be a long, brutal summer for New Yorkers who need a ride.

Emily Wood, a 39-year-old ad executive in the West Village, was late for a doctor visit late last month and couldn’t find a taxi on Sixth Avenue at West 11th Street. So she opened the Uber app and punched in a five-minute trip to West 25th Street.

Uber wanted an eye-popping $39 — so Wood hoofed the 14 blocks in her running sneakers. When the doctor told Wood her blood pressure was high, she had to explain.

“The prices have just been astronomical,” Wood said. “I’m going to plan ahead and I’m going to allow more time to take the subway and walk.”

The problem may get worse before it gets better. As offices reopen and tourists begin to trickle in this summer, industry experts say passengers will face a dire shortage of taxicabs and surging prices for Uber and Lyft rides. That’s because drivers who largely stopped working during the pandemic remain reluctant to come back, instead taking other jobs or collecting unemployment.

“The summer could be really crazy,” Bruce Schaller, a transportation expert and former city transit official, told the Post.

According to the Taxi and Limousine Commission, there were 4,900 yellow cabs cruising the city in April. While that’s up slightly from 4,700 in March — it’s less than half the 11,400 cabs that were available in February 2020, before lockdowns.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/06/new-yorkers-cant-get-taxis-amid-shortage-uber-price-hikes/

From: Shortysfriendkrathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-13 1:04 AM 
To: Demented Ol Lady Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 16) 
 790.2 in reply to 790.1 

A very important problem

Especially now, buses and subways may be taking up the slack.

Reply   Options 

From: Demented Ol Lady Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-13 6:34 AM 
To: Shortysfriendkrathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 16) 
 790.3 in reply to 790.2 

The best they can... it's a complicated thing.

From: Shortysfriendkrathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-13 2:23 PM 
To: Demented Ol Lady Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 16) 
 790.4 in reply to 790.3 

the whole transportation industry has been negatively affected everywhere by the coronavirus.
Some people have been able to use buses and subways in places like NY City which has been able to keep theirs running but in many places the only alternative has been the "ten toe express"==feet.

From: Demented Ol Lady Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-13 3:22 PM 
To: Shortysfriendkrathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 16) 
 790.5 in reply to 790.4 

And a lot of Lift/Uber drivers haven't come back.

From: Shortysfriendkrathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-13 4:30 PM 
To: Demented Ol Lady Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 16) 
 790.6 in reply to 790.5 

so we don't have Lyft, Uber or standard taxicabs in many places.
I see few taxicabs on the street.

One of my constituents from TriMet LIFT was supposed to be sent an accessible taxi, from the company LIFT contracts with and it has accessible taxis and people to drive them, and waited 3 hours and ended up calling a LYFT with a wheelchair van. 
He waited about 30 min for the LYFT van and he had been waiting hours for the LIFT taxi.

He came to the CAT meeting and registered his complaint.

From: Demented Ol Lady Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-13 5:06 PM 
To: Shortysfriendkrathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 16) 
 790.7 in reply to 790.6 

Oh dear that was messed up.

From: Shortysfriendkrathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-13 5:42 PM 
To: Demented Ol Lady Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 16) 
 790.8 in reply to 790.7 

worst ride story I have heard of in a long time.

My own LIFT rides have been on time, and close ot perfect most of the time.

From: Demented Ol Lady Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-13 6:16 PM 
To: Shortysfriendkrathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 16) 
 790.9 in reply to 790.8 

I hope that was a fluke!

From: Shortysfriendkrathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-13 6:48 PM 
To: Demented Ol Lady Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 16) 
 790.10 in reply to 790.9 

i am sure it was, but to the person who experienced it, it was a horror story.
LIFT refunded his prepaid LIFT fare, I don't know if htey did anything else. 
This person, hwo rides in a chair and is D-code (Do Not Leave Alone, meaning do not leave at an empty building or house where no one meets him) seems to have more than his share of trouble    LIFT rides. 

He doesn't live on the outskirts of the system, either. He lives in North Portland in an area which is covered normally by Region 2 and Region 1. 
Without Region 1 it should still be covered by Region 2 at this time.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-16
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.