HONO (honolulu62)

Thai Falang Board

Hosted by HONO (honolulu62)|TFB webpage

A forum that is "all things Thai": relationship issues between Thais and foreigners (falangs), including culture and immigration; current news and events in Thailand; travel; and networking with Thai-falang couples.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Losing interest   General

Started 7/20/16 by HONO (honolulu62); 2926 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
HONO (honolulu62)

Nov-18

Image result for greetings clipart

To all my TFB friends, ... Hono here.  Hope you're all doing well.  I've been on hiatus from the TFB for about 10 months now.  I've been doing fine.  I'm glad to see you're all still here and posting.  

So where have I been?  Actually I've been in the same place doing the same thing, ie, just chugging along on this journey we call life.  

So why haven't I posted?  To answer that, I'd thought I'd revive this thread I started back in July of 2016, which I titled "losing interest".  Yes, I have been losing interest in 'all things Thai'.  It's nothing against TFB.  Heck, I started TFB.  I'm not abandoning TFB.  It's just that I feel I have nothing to contribute.   And to be honest, my viewpoints on 'things Thai' have soured over the years.  I don't want to be a 'negative host'.

And life has been keeping me busy.  My family is fine.  

I'll check in to TFB once in a awhile.  Like I said, I don't want to abandon TFB.  Anyway, I'm glad to see you're all here.  Take care.   

FlasherMak

Nov-19

I've been very fortunate with my in-laws, whom I actually haven't seen in years. My wife is the baby of the family, and her big sisters saw to it that she got a higher education. She's sort of got carried away with it, earning MAs in two subjects and a PhD, but she's paid for it all herself. (Not bad for a village girl. She's also been sent by the government to study at various times in the UK, NZ, and the PRC.) She and her sisters have seen to it that their nieces and nephews have all got a college education as well. My only problem is that she's become a workaholic. I'd like her to spend more time with me than she does.  :(

For what it's worth, she is not from Issan but from the North. I know that shouldn't make a difference, but it does seem to somewhat. Her family was considered well off in the village, since they owned maybe 25 or 30 rai of farm land. That's not much of anything to us (10 or 15 acres), but it makes a difference in rural Thailand.

HONO (honolulu62)

Nov-19

Hi Flash, hope you're doing well.  ... Education and initiative are the keys to many things.  My Isaan in-laws lack both.  And even if one has no education, initiative and drive can propel one to a better life.  My experience with Isaan people, is that they are lazy and dependent.  I'm not saying all Isaan people are that way.  Just my experience.  So you are lucky Flash, that your wife is educated.  It makes a difference in my book.    

Sky Captain (bkksw)

Nov-23

I haven't lived as long as some of you.. but I've come to believe happiness with the wife, kids, job, friends,, personal challenges, education, they vary.. separately to create a sort of satisfaction aggregate. And as you age.. the individual levels of those important parts of you life.. they tend to climb and even out. What I'm afraid if is that once I get it all together time will run out.. :)
HONO (honolulu62)

Nov-23

Sky, good perspective.  it's very true what you say about different aspects of life having varying degrees of satisfaction, and it all culminates.  For me, my interest in Thai-related things has been on the down-slide, but other things keep me going.  ... Hope all is well with you.  Are you still living in the midwest? 

FlasherMak

Nov-24

"My experience with Isaan people, is that they are lazy and dependent."

That's the reputation Issan has, though in fact they can also be some of the hardest working people in Thailand. Who do you think the work force in Bangkok is ... the folks who build the skyscrapers and condos, who work in the factories, the taxi drivers and bus conductors, the backbone of the army? But with Issan it often seems to be a case of all or nothing. They either work their butts off, or they do f*ck all and send their daughters to the bars or brothels  to support them. :(

• Edited November 24, 2017 12:28 am  by  FlasherMak
Sky Captain (bkksw)

Nov-24

I am.. and the midwest to me has little to offer other than my sons.. and that's enough. At least for now.
Sky Captain (bkksw)

Nov-24

"That's the reputation Issan has, though in fact they can also be some of the hardest working people in Thailand. Who do you think the work force in Bangkok is ... the folks who build the skyscrapers and condos, who work in the factories, the taxi drivers and bus conductors, the backbone of the army? But with Issan it often seems to be a case of all or nothing. They either work their butts off, or they do f*ck all and send their daughters to the bars or brothels to support them. :("

Agreed, you can't look at some of the farms, orchards, ranches, factories, and not see very hard working people. It's just that most who encounter Isaan folks do so as lazy members of in-laws who try and get money from them, or those often being oppressed by the rich in Bangkok, etc, who have had their spirits killed because of low wages, irregular work, and of course rice whiskey..

FlasherMak

Nov-29

My favorite part of Thailand is the real north (old Lanna), but Issan is a close second. Beautiful country and good people.

KhunGary27

Nov-29

I see that in here in Isaan.  Some of the hardest working people I've ever met, and some that are just bone lazy - and usually drunk from sun up until they pass out.  Fortunately the former are most prevalent.