The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Overnight train ride during Covid   Travel by Car/Bus/Trains

Started Oct-29 by Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 162 views.

I Took an Overnight Train During the Pandemic — Here's What I Learned

As soon as I stepped into the boarding line at Portland’s Union Station, I noticed signs of the times: masks and markers on the floor, instructing people where to stand. Masks covering your nose and mouth are required by Amtrak in all stations, as is keeping proper social distance from others. The same goes while aboard their trains. Despite these rules, the woman directly behind me left her nose poking out over the top of her mask as she carried on an animated conversation with her traveler partner.

But I reminded myself that I was booked in one of Amtrak’s private bedrooms, a space where I’d have my own sitting area, en suite bathroom with a toilet and shower, a sink, and, when I was ready to call it a night, a bed. In other words, unless I chose to, I wouldn’t have to interact or share space with any other passengers on my 30-hour journey from Portland to Los Angeles. For someone like me with immune issues that put them in a higher-risk category for COVID-19, having this option offered an off-load of anxiety.

As I approached the platform outside the sleeping car, I flashed my paperwork to a welcoming employee who managed to flash back a big smile, even with her face hidden behind a mask. “Hi, there,” she said before getting surprisingly excited. “Oh, look at that!” Her voice sounded like she had just won the lottery. “You’re in car 31 — that’s my car! I’m Linda, and I’ll be your cabin attendant taking care of you all the way to Los Angeles.” Linda’s cheerful spirit was contagious, giving me the first real feeling of excitement and adventure since my last trip, a food-filled exploration of Houston back in late February.

Everything I’d read so far about riding Amtrak in the time of COVID-19 seemed to rank long-distance train travel as safe, smart, and — dare I say — even relaxing.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/bus-train/overnight-amtrak-train-coronavirus

kizmet1

Nov-1

Back in the late 80's I took the "no frills" version from Portland to Las Vegas.
No sleeping room but I was lucky and on an older car. Plenty of leg room. Put my suitcase in front of me and my feet on it. Older seats very comfortable and well padded. Fell asleep and woke up with Mt Shasta staring down on me at 6am. Only bad part was having to transfer to a bus to get to Las Vegas. I think I would have stayed on the train if going to Los Angeles.
I think trains are one of the best ways to travel. The scenery is not to be missed and, at the time I went, no seat belts. The staff is excellent.

Sounds like you enjoyed it, great!  I would love to take a train trip to anywhere, I know I'd love it!

bembidion1

Nov-5

Absolutely!  I've gone on Amtrak many times and never had a bad trip.  I hope my wife and I can go out to visit our son in Oklahoma.  We would be coming from Connecticut.  The last trip we made was to St. Albans, VT and before that we went to Mattoon, Il on business.

Glad to hear this!  Good for you and I hope you can go one of these days!