The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

This small town in Italy is worth it!   Europe

Started Nov-13 by Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 261 views.

The Small Town of Caserta, Italy, Has a Palace That Rivals Versailles and Some of the World's Best Pizza

Did you know that Italy has a royal palace that rivals Versailles in size and splendor? Located about 40 minutes north of Naples, the Reggia di Caserta was built in the 18th century by King Charles III (known as Charles of Bourbon), who looked to the famous French palace for inspiration. Designed by Luigi Vanvitelli, the Reggia di Caserta has 1,200 rooms, a 123-hectare royal park, and English gardens with more than 200 species of plants and 24 sculptures. So why does nobody seem to know about it?

The palace welcomed 770,000 people in 2022, which may seem like a lot, but not when you consider that around 10 to 15 million people visit Versailles annually. As a Rome-based travel writer, I was curious to see this under-the-radar palace. And when my husband asked me to try to get a reservation at Pizzeria I Masanielli di Francesco Martucci in Caserta, which was crowned the best pizzeria in the world by Top 50 Pizza in 2022, I figured we could combine the two. I booked our table two months in advance and planned our trip around the reservation. We would visit the palace, eat award-winning pizza for dinner, and spend the night in a cute little bed-and-breakfast called A Corte before returning to Rome the next day.

More at
Luxuryrea1

Nov-25

Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) said:

That Rivals Versailles and Some of the World's Best Pizza

Absolutely enchanting! This small town in Italy is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. From its charming cobblestone streets and historic architecture to the warm hospitality of its residents, every corner exudes a captivating atmosphere. The town's rich cultural heritage and picturesque landscapes make it a must-visit destination. Whether you're a history enthusiast exploring ancient landmarks or a food lover savoring authentic Italian cuisine, this town offers a delightful experience at every turn. The beauty and authenticity of this Italian haven make it truly worth the visit – a small town with a big heart, leaving visitors with unforgettable memories

It sounds amazing,  cool!