MRCROSSROADS

Linux Cafe

Hosted by MRCROSSROADS

The Linux Cafe is for Linux gurus, novices and the curious alike. Catch up on the latest in Penguin Land.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

IBM to Acquire Red Hat for $34B   Linux | Open Source News

Started Oct-28 by MRCROSSROADS; 253 views.
MRCROSSROADS
Host

Oct-28

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Nov-28

I meant comment on this earlier.

When I saw news of this when  it broke (on a Sunday night oddly enough), I was blindsided. I had heard occasional  rumblings of RH possibly being aquired but didn't think much about it or that it was going to be anytime soon. That being said a few observations:

• Of all the likely suitors I think we (we being RH customers) lucked out with IBM. They are probably the best fit where RH has product (Openshift) that fits an  immediate need for IBM where they are trying to make a dent in the cloud space. Whether  they will be able to make headway against Microsoft or AWS remains to be seen.
  • With JBoss part of it's product catalog now, I'm curious what direction IBM will go with regards to Websphere?
  • At least they weren't bought up by  Oracle...
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see Canonical get swept up by Microsoft (or perhaps Oracle, but MS makes more sense) sometime in the coming months.
  • Redhat (and possibly  Canonical) is just beginning it's journey as an aquired company. The circumstances are different because Redhat is such a profitable company already, but it's worth looking at Suse's history as it's now come out of the other side of this process already. i believe Suse is back at square one.
  • This is interesting because Redhat unlike a lot of aquisitions isn't on the back nine bleeding assets. They are a profitable company, still growing, with legitimate product and service offerings that bring in year-to-year revenue. i'm curious how IBM will handle this and if the cultural differences will  be an  issue going forward. I'm cautiously  optimistic given that IBM is saying the right things (so far), but that doesn't guarantee anything.

In reply toRe: msg 2
CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Nov-28

And Redhat is still buying up other companies in the meantime. Not familiar with NooBaa, so I can't comment much  about them. From the article, they are based in Israel and their operations will remain there.

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Nov-28

A look at this deal from an investor perspective:

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Nov-28

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Nov-30

Yeah, I heard about this the night before they announced it. One of the students in a class I'm teaching is an IBM Systems Engineer. I was floored. 

How do you think this will affect you going forward?  You employer is a RH shop right?

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Nov-30

Yeah, we're well entrenched in Redhat on the Linux side. Short term I don't think there will be any issues. Long term I think we're ok too, but it's a question of whether or not IBM decides to insert itself in Redhat's day to day operations.

I think it will be ok. IBM will actually benefit them in some ways and be able to provide resources Redhat isn't capable of providing yet (better sales team for one).

Worst case scenario is IBM ultimately doesn't know what to do with them (unlikely - this isn't Oracle). In that case they would just sell them off again or spin them off ala Suse.