MRCROSSROADS

Linux Cafe

Hosted by MRCROSSROADS

The Linux Cafe is for Linux gurus, novices and the curious alike! And it entails far more than you might think. Operating systems such as Chrome OS, Android, WearOS, Tizen and many others. In fact, unless you're specifically running a Windows-based machine, chances are you're running Linux in some form or fashion. From your computer to your tablet to your smartphone and right down to your favorite wearables, chances are they have the Linux kernel at their core. So come, join us, and see the world of Linux through new eyes!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fedora 30 Now Available   Red Hat / Fedora / Centos

Started Apr-30 by MRCROSSROADS; 329 views.
CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Jun-8

I upgraded to 30 and promptly lost my wireless. I should have paid more attention to the release notes which noted that the newer wpa_supplicant won't work with my broadcom drivers. I'll need to connect via ethernet and downgrade wpa_supplicant which sounds like more aggravation than it should be.

Otherwise F30 looks pretty good.

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Jun-9

Do you only use open source drivers? Or maybe a kernel other than the installed default?

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Jun-10

No I believe I'm using the ones from Broadcom. I think I had to get those separately way back when.

bshmr

Jun-12

This looks easy enough: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/bj95zy/wifi_stuck_on_connecting_after_upgrade_to_fedora/

Had similar issues with a laptop and a desktop years ago -- back then 'airplane mode' plus Asus not hard-wiring the wireless function key (as though M$ was the ALL) like the other hardware functions on the laptop, had me pulling my hair out for days.   

In reply toRe: msg 5
CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Jun-13

I did see this in some of my searches also. I believe I had to do this with my Centos 7  desktop. This situation is different though because it's the wpa_supplicant module that isn't interacting with the driver correctly.

From the release notes, they are aware that it's because of a new feature they added and they're not going to remove it for a non-free driver (understandable  I guess). That said, I guess they are working on a fix  right now so that they can keep  the feature and not break  the broadcom driver.

There is at least one known  workaround using a copr package that appears to work, but I'll only end up breaking it if I do another update, so I'll hang tight and wait for the official fix to find  it's way out.

Balypiri

Jun-28

Hey!!

That's very much informative.