MRCROSSROADS

Linux Cafe

Hosted by MRCROSSROADS

The Linux Cafe is for Linux gurus, novices and the curious alike! And it entails far more than you might think. Operating systems such as Chrome OS, Android, WearOS, Tizen and many others. In fact, unless you're specifically running a Windows-based machine, chances are you're running Linux in some form or fashion. From your computer to your tablet to your smartphone and right down to your favorite wearables, chances are they have the Linux kernel at their core. So come, join us, and see the world of Linux through new eyes!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mint    General Discussion

Started Sep-12 by ally (JadedAlly); 221 views.
ally (JadedAlly)

Sep-12

I'm not sure which folder to put this in.

I'm using Mint 19.2 Tina. The updates keep wanting me to set up system snapshots to restore a previous condition.  Do you know if I should do this??

Hope all is well with you.  :)

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Sep-12

It would come in handy if your machine dies and you need to restore it. Loading the last snapshot would restore to that point. When I was using Mint I disable it myself.

ally (JadedAlly)

Sep-13

Oh ok, so it's a preference only, not a must have.  Thank you.  smile

MEDDLY

Sep-13

I did it and it came handy when the kernel was updated and it ruined my system. It kept crashing on me so I went back a day or two before I upgraded the kernel. Everything has been fine since and no way I'm upgrading the kernel. To hell with it.

In reply toRe: msg 4
ally (JadedAlly)

Sep-13

I haven't been asked to upgrade any kernels yet.  Which one should I avoid?  Honestly I don't even know which one I'm using now.  But since everything is running smoothly it must not be the one that kept crashing yours...

MEDDLY

Sep-13

Right now, I'm using the windows partition. I'll later user the Linux one and let you know.

In reply toRe: msg 6
ally (JadedAlly)

Sep-13

I use to have mine that way, but had it changed to Linux use only.  It got corrupted too often the other way..

In reply toRe: msg 4
ally (JadedAlly)

Sep-18

Well my day has arrived.  Do I want to install kernel 4.15.0 64 bit?  When I had Linux before I updated anything they wanted and something got corrupted.  I'd like not to make that mistake again.

MEDDLY

Sep-18

Sorry, I forgot to check which Kernels my OS wanted to update. I had to deal with an ASUS laptop with a ruined HD.

MEDDLY

Sep-19

Ally (JadedAlly) said...

4.15.0 64 bit

The new kernel version (I'm not taking the risk) is 4.15.0-64.73 for 32 bit system. I'm using the 4.15.0-50-generic one (32 bit).