MRCROSSROADS

Linux Cafe

Hosted by MRCROSSROADS

The Linux Cafe is for Linux gurus, novices and the curious alike! And it entails far more than you might think. Operating systems such as Chrome OS, Android, WearOS, Tizen and many others. In fact, unless you're specifically running a Windows-based machine, chances are you're running Linux in some form or fashion. From your computer to your tablet to your smartphone and right down to your favorite wearables, chances are they have the Linux kernel at their core. So come, join us, and see the world of Linux through new eyes!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Joplin   Software / Hardware

Started Nov-23 by CDP (PerraultC); 98 views.
CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Nov-23

I'm generally indifferent when  it comes to Microsoft Office.  I don't love it, I don't hate it,  and it's what I generally use at work while everywhere else I use Libreoffice.

That said, I've come to LOVE Onenote. It took me a while to start to really use it because  I wasn't sure what kind of app it  was. But once I started dipping my toe in the water I really  warmed up to it. It's great  for outlining drafts, planning, and general todo lists. If you don't have a lot of notes to  take, this  isn't any more benefit  than  just using a text  editor or Google doc.  But if you have a lot of thoughts to organize,  it's fantastic!

Which led me to a search for a Onenote-like app for Linux. There are some out there, but nothing comes remoted close IMO in terms of quality. But  I did find one that's seems really good so far.

It's called Joplin, for those who aren't familiar with it. It works a little differently, making use of Markdown language (as a nod to the geek crowd), but it does allow for organizing notes across multiple notebooks which is neat. If that is something that could be useful for you, I recommend checking it out. I don't know if they have it in any  repos, but  the download and installation from  the homepage is easy and you can install is as your regular user (root not  required or recommended).

It's at https://joplinapp.org/.

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Nov-25

Joplin sounds familiar. I may have tried it when I was looking for a OneNote alternative for Linux. Will have to look at it again.

I agree, OneNote is incredible. I use it all of the time. It's become invaluable to me.

Edit: Yup, I've tried it before. The deal-breaker for me was that you must use Dropbox to sync with other devices as far as I know. I dumped DB a while back. But for a free, open source product, it's for sure a worthy alternative.

Edit 2: Looks like they've added OneDrive as an option. I may try it again.

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Nov-26

I have a DB account that I hadn't been using so I'm using it now just for Joplin. Otherwise I'm using Google Drive as my backup. Unfortunately it's not an option for  Joplin.

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Nov-27

I see they allow you to sync there nextCloud as well though. Maybe other options will come available in the future. I've imported my Evernotes into Joplin yesterday. It copied all of the notes but didn't retain the Notebook structure, I'm going to reorganize them and start using Joplin as an Evernote replacement. It's better now than when I had first tried it. Thanks for posting about it!

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Nov-27

That's right, you can import Evernote now. I'm just stumbling over it now, so I didn't get a chance to see earlier versions of it. I'm looking it because I can use it across platforms. In terms of functionality, it still feels like a much lesser version of Evernote, but it's still the best one I've seen for Linux so far.

Have to say I'm liking it :-)

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Nov-28

I wish there was a standard for everything, hardware and software, where everything was compatible with everything. OneNote is almost there. In addition to Windows, it works on iOS, Android and I believe macOS. But I'm glad you brought of Joplin so I gave it a second look. It's for sure matured since I last tried it. I may set up nextCloud on my server and sync through that on my devices.