MRCROSSROADS

Linux Cafe

Hosted by MRCROSSROADS

The Linux Cafe is for Linux gurus, novices and the curious alike! And it entails far more than you might think. Operating systems such as Chrome OS, Android, WearOS, Tizen and many others. In fact, unless you're specifically running a Windows-based machine, chances are you're running Linux in some form or fashion. From your computer to your tablet to your smartphone and right down to your favorite wearables, chances are they have the Linux kernel at their core. So come, join us, and see the world of Linux through new eyes!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

zorin help.   Debian (Debian Based) Mint / Ubuntu

Started Mar-26 by CHMEEE1; 481 views.
CHMEEE1

Mar-26

I have multiple hard drives that I manually switch in and out of a desktop.
I decided to test run the new release of zorin. It installed perfectly into a bare drive, and seems to work just fine. When I put in an older drive, suddenly it was unable to boot... Test other drives, thumb drives, DVDs etc, NOTHING WOULD BOOT EXCEPT ZORIN. After a day or two I traced that problem to "secure boot" turned on in bios killing the ability to use "legacy" mode... First problem solved, other drives live again. Now the one that hurts. WIFI only works on zorin ???how? Why? Put in zorin- WiFi. Put in Ubuntu no connect. Put zorin back, WiFi lives again. Fresh install of Ubuntu? Won't connect to get updates. Round and round we go.
A few min ago I booted one of the backup drives to play a little music. Guess what- NO AUDIO even though it showed as volume up, and status bar moving. I have not yet tried the same song through zorin, but its nap time. I'm betting that it will work fine when I check tomorrow. Any ideas where to start my search for the problem?
MEDDLY

Mar-26

I don't want to be a wiseguy (clown, not criminal) but if Zorin seems to be working, then why the "zorin help" title? It seems you need help with Ubuntu, not zorin.smirk

In reply toRe: msg 2
CHMEEE1

Mar-26

I considered that, however the drives that won't run after exposure to zorin work great in other computers. And its not only Ubuntu. It's also any bootable CD or thumb drive...
I solved that by turning off secure boot and legacy mode on, so now the computer lives again. The current problem is no WiFi on that computer UNLESS its running zorin. Any other hardware works fine.
Example: one computer on its side case open, two sata drives side by side, power cable hooked up.... Hook data cable to zorin, everything works. Power down and move ONLY the single data cable to other drive... It boots fine runs apps, all good, start Firefox and the message appears "PLEASE ENTER YOUR PASSWORD." Fine enter password, lights flash, please enter your password. Repeat till your finger gets tired.
Move data cable back to zorin, boots fine, jumps right on line, browse around, all absolutely normal. Rediculous.
MEDDLY

Mar-26

If by "secure boot" you mean UEFI, I too hate it! I prefer Legacy Mode, less chances of screwing up the computer.

In reply toRe: msg 4
CHMEEE1

Mar-26

Yep, but I was not the one that enabled it. It just magically appeared when I installed zorin.
But like I say, I cured that one. (Admittedly with some difficulty, I retired in '06) My problem now is the WIFI. Works ONLY with zorin in that machine, but is fine on all others.
MEDDLY

Mar-26

Maybe driver issues?

In reply toRe: msg 6
CHMEEE1

Mar-26

I can't say no, but they were there and working right up 'till I installed zorin. My first thought was the external WiFi antenna so I switched it out. No change. It still reads the signal, sends the usual NAK etc the router responds by asking for the password .... Over and over. Boot into zorin, all good.
MEDDLY

Mar-26

Now I know what your problem is...Zorin has taken over your system like the pods in Invasion of the Body Snatchers!

sarcasminnocent

In reply toRe: msg 8
CHMEEE1

Mar-26

Maybe I get a preview of next years "I-virus" ... Transmitted through social media. Don't get on Facebook without a double strength firewall.
  • Edited March 26, 2020 8:00 pm  by  CHMEEE1
MEDDLY

Mar-26

laughinglaughing

Please, not Will Smith.