MRCROSSROADS

Linux Cafe

Hosted by MRCROSSROADS

The Linux Cafe is for Linux gurus, novices and the curious alike! And it entails far more than you might think. Operating systems such as Chrome OS, Android, WearOS, Tizen and many others. In fact, unless you're specifically running a Windows-based machine, chances are you're running Linux in some form or fashion. From your computer to your tablet to your smartphone and right down to your favorite wearables, chances are they have the Linux kernel at their core. So come, join us, and see the world of Linux through new eyes!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Again, no one wants to take over?   General Discussion

Started Sep-17 by MEDDLY; 341 views.
MEDDLY

Sep-17

Ask Delphi's authorities to take over this forum, since its creator is no longer available.

Or, let's ask Delphi to end this forum unless, we can prove it's useful for all.

What do you think?

In reply toRe: msg 1
The Chief (BowWave)

Sep-24

There has been almost no traffic, for quite a while now.  I say let it die... There are plenty of other places for Linux News and Support.
MEDDLY

Sep-24

Really (Linux news and support)? Then show me the way.

BTW, I "heard" that he was cascaded by Delphi and, unless he can come back in another "form", this site is doomed.

In reply toRe: msg 3
The Chief (BowWave)

Sep-25

You said: " Then show me the way. "

Here ya go:  https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=linux+forums
MEDDLY

Sep-25

Thank you for the info but I was aiming for Delphi Forums, Linux here at Delphi. I "found" one but it barely mentions Linux and the Host hasn't been around since 2020.

I guess Windows and Mac are more popular.

Addendum

I myself use both Windows 7 and Linux Mint.

• Edited September 25, 2021 11:45 am  by  MEDDLY
In reply toRe: msg 6
The Chief (BowWave)

Sep-27

I run Windows 7 in Virtual Box for the two Windows programs I cannot seem to wean myself off of - Quicken and WordPerfect.  With enough ram, it's almost like they were native programs.
MEDDLY

Sep-27

WordPerfect? You are "old school", dude. I remember using WP 5.0 (DOS), probably the best, IMO.

In reply toRe: msg 8
The Chief (BowWave)

Sep-27

You said: " WordPerfect? You are "old school", dude "
It was mandated by the customers back when I was a Software Engineer for a Defense Contractor.  It was the only word processor that had a version for practically every computer in existence, including IBM and DEC (and others) mainframes or mini-computers, all with a common file format.

It's still the easiest to use for some things.  Legal style paragraph numbers?  Works like a charm, and it can be automatic, if you want.

Most word processors start to choke on 2500 page, graphics heavy documents, with 250 page Tables of Contents and 500 page Indexes.  We did that fairly often in WordPerfect.

WordPerfect's big mistake was taking too long to create a Windows version.

Hi

I would not want to lose this, but reality says it is terminal.