MRCROSSROADS

Linux Cafe

Hosted by MRCROSSROADS

The Linux Cafe is for Linux gurus, novices and the curious alike!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will we see the end of the desktop PC?   Software / Hardware

Started Jun-18 by MRCROSSROADS; 435 views.
MRCROSSROADS

Poll Question From MRCROSSROADS

Jun-18

Will we see the end of the desktop PC?
  • Within 25 years2  votes
    28%
  • Within 15 years0  votes
    0%
  • Within 10 years0  votes
    0%
  • No5  votes
    71%
Within 25 years 
Within 15 years 
Within 10 years 
No 
In reply toRe: msg 1
MRCROSSROADS
Host

Jun-18

I think in 25 years desktops will be a novelty device like the iPad was when it first came out. By 2050 they'll be virtually extinct. As us old school folks begin dying up and the mobile first generation takes over.

The Chief (BowWave)

Jun-19

I can't see corporations allowing something like a tablet or phone to connect to their servers.   Especially those dealing with classified data.

The company I worked for wouldn't even allow a cell phone into the building.  Employee handbook clearly stated that being found with any device capable of recording audio, video or still images was grounds for dismissal and possible criminal prosecution.

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Jun-19

Where I work now no phones or tablets are allowed either. Places dealing with classified or sensitive data will be among the last to still be using desktops in some form a couple decades from now.

astrallady

Jun-19

I hope not. I could not stand my laptop, always overheating even when I put it up to vent. Plus I need a mouse, my fingers are good at all the swiping and sliding across the panel.

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Jun-19

That's why I choose 25 years. The generation by that time will have hardly used anything that's not mobile and/or touch screen.

Grant you Voice. Welcome to the forum!

astrallady

Jun-19

My local schools have done the samething. Students can bring in cell phones. I think it is due to the kids filming teachers or other kids.

astrallady

Jun-19

Ty I followed your promo.

The Chief (BowWave)

Jun-20

You said: " Places dealing with classified or sensitive data will be among the last to still be using desktops in some form a couple decades from now. "

And what will they be using after that?  Terminals connected to a big central computer?
MEDDLY

Jun-20

Isn't that going back to the good ol' days?