MRCROSSROADS

Linux Cafe

Hosted by MRCROSSROADS

The Linux Cafe is for Linux gurus, novices and the curious alike! And it entails far more than you might think. Operating systems such as Chrome OS, Android, WearOS, Tizen and many others. In fact, unless you're specifically running a Windows-based machine, chances are you're running Linux in some form or fashion. From your computer to your tablet to your smartphone and right down to your favorite wearables, chances are they have the Linux kernel at their core. So come, join us, and see the world of Linux through new eyes!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How Often Do You Upgrade   General Discussion

Started 8/2/17 by CDP (PerraultC); 1495 views.
MEDDLY

8/12/17

CDP (PerraultC) said...

When a new major version comes out,  are you pretty quick to upgrade to that also or do you wait for it to burn  in for a while with other users?

I'm faster than the Road Runner itself, especially if the new version is LTS.

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

8/12/17

LOL, you're the first one rushing into the fire. I like your devil-may-care approach lol.

Plus with  an LTS it's got to be nice. If you get it right  in place you don't have concern yourself with complete reinstalls for quite some time. And if the os supports an in-place  upgrade, even better :-)

I just wish Fedora did LTS releases, but that's not happening (unless you count rhel/centos).

MEDDLY

8/12/17

OT (maybe not):

Should I try to install Ubuntu on a PC that already has Mint and Win 7? I have those on separate HDs (long story) but I'm not sure if having a new HD with Ubuntu is necessary or overkill.

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

8/12/17

Personally I wouldn't but technically there's no reason  you can't. I just wouldn't have the patience re-figuring out the partitioning requirements to do that. I just remember doing something similar years ago. It was doable but confusing to me at the time. With virtualization now being an option, it just feels unnecessary.

MEDDLY

8/12/17

Then the deal is off!!!

steadyeddy

8/12/17

I'm using puppy linux retro ubuntu SULU 5.2.8.7 so I never "update."

I will be buried with my sulu tightly clenched in my hands. relaxed

I have Tahrpup 64 setup, but I'm more comfortable here on Sulu.

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

8/12/17

Is Puppy an Ubuntu spinoff now? It's been a while since  I followed it.

Is it a rolling update distro?

In reply toRe: msg 1
bshmr

Jun-24

Went to update my SystemRescueCD and less often used Clonezilla. Both have made changes that require LEARNING despite one's age and condition <VBG>. IOW, neither worked as they (prior basic versions) used to! Both require further investigation and correction to the default *.ISOs. 

BTW, I can't initiate threads here so I hope that this is okay.