MRCROSSROADS

Linux Cafe

Hosted by MRCROSSROADS

The Linux Cafe is for Linux gurus, novices and the curious alike. Catch up on the latest in Penguin Land.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Dec-1

You're welcome. 

Found it then?

Yes I did.  I was in the right church but the wrong pew.  I have 4GB.. 

When you're prompted to install a "kernel" do you always install those?  Gary just always said, you aren't going to understand most of what they want to update and install, just do it.  But this one says, "The Linux Kernel is responsible for hardware and drivers support. Note that this update will not remove your existing kernel. You will still be able to boot with the current kernel by choosing the advanced options in your boot menu. Please be cautious though.. kernel regressions can affect your ability to connect to the Internet or to log in graphically. DKMS modules are compiled for the most recent kernels installed on your computer. If you are using proprietary drivers and you want to use an older kernel, you will need to remove the new one first."

Packages included in this update: linux-headers-4.10.0-40 linux-headers-4.10.0-40-generic linux-image-4.10.0-40-generic linux-image-extra-4.10.0-40-generic

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Dec-1

It's usually safe, but sometimes it breaks stuff. For example, one of my laptop's graphic card is really picky. I updated a kernel one time and it reverted to the open source driver. Which is fine in most case, but for that machine I needed the proprietary version. Another kernel update fixed it. I'm currently running 4.13 and don't intend to attempt 4.14 for quite a while. Still too many unaddressed bugs.

I'd say that if what you have now is working okay, just leave it for now.

It is working great so I'm glad I asked.  Thanks Mr. C....

bshmr

Dec-2

Try 'free'  Should have a 'man' and 'info' page, as well. 

[user@localhost ~]$ free --help

Usage:
 free [options]

Options:
 -b, --bytes         show output in bytes
 -k, --kilo          show output in kilobytes
 -m, --mega          show output in megabytes
 -g, --giga          show output in gigabytes
     --tera          show output in terabytes
 -h, --human         show human-readable output
     --si            use powers of 1000 not 1024
 -l, --lohi          show detailed low and high memory statistics
 -o, --old           use old format (without -/+buffers/cache line)
 -t, --total         show total for RAM + swap
 -s N, --seconds N   repeat printing every N seconds
 -c N, --count N     repeat printing N times, then exit

--help     display this help and exit
 -V, --version  output version information and exit

For more details see free(1).

In reply toRe: msg 8

Thanks.  But I found it.  :)