The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gravity Feed   CustomModifications/Projects

Started by 18Apes; 10933 views.
skyking897

10/30/14

vstar105 said...  I ran my 01 for years without a pump and can say that it did great until going to reserve.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying you bike did not run well when on reserve?

vstar105

10/30/14

When it got low enough to switch to reserve the tank is fuel inside was to the point that splashing was allowing as much air into line as fuel.

vstar105

10/30/14

I finally removed petcock and cut tubes as close as possible, basically eliminating reserve. About 125 miles I started looking for a fuel stop, but could go 150 with ease. Safely allow 4.3 gallons to flow without sputter. 

skyking897

10/30/14

Thanks for the info.  Since I'm always having to switch to reserve almost every ride this might not be a good idea for me.

JetMechRider

10/31/14

I run KJS, gravity feed - no problems. 140ish to hit reserve then 20-25 mi reliable after that. Long as you aren't swinging twisties no problem.
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Did you do any changes to the fuel valve? Also, how do you have the fuel line routed? You're probably using the same amount of fuel......I wonder what the difference is?

JetMechRider

10/31/14

No change on the valve. Run filter about 6"-8" from petcock (smaller filter), then straight to carb - no thru-the-frame-&-back U-Turns. Also, I'm not lowered at all, so stock angle on the tank. When low (read reserve) I do get some stutter on hard or fast right turns. Been thinking about about adding a RH petcock, but I usually keep the fuel level up so it's not really a problem.
vstar105

10/31/14

You make a valid point, pick a happy mileage and live with it and 90% of all problems is eliminated. What carb are you running. Main reason I went with Super E was it holds much more fuel in bowl allowing more time for fuel catch up.

JetMechRider

11/1/14

Still with the HS40, but going with either Super E or the Zenith 16P12 http://www.zenithfuelsystems.com/documents/HARLEYDAVIDSONCARBURETORS2009.pdf