The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gravity Feed   CustomModifications/Projects

Started by 18Apes; 10934 views.
vstar105

11/1/14

Back in the early days Zenith was used on Viragos and tested on a friends 99 Vstar while I used the HS40. More than 20 lb torque gain with HS40. Advantage to Zenith was its flange rather than a boot mount. Also like stock carb conversion was happier with a fuel pump.

Tested with 22 different carbs in 12 years and Super E is the best all around and easiest to tune. Ken at KJS had needle made for a Roadstar carb, took some modifying but it delivered mid to high 90's torque using stock cams. A beast with a pump but skipped on every hard turn using gravity feed. Kept the only 2 for a future project.

JetMechRider

11/1/14

You running the Super E now? If so, what's your setup?
vstar105

11/1/14

Super E since early 08. Just sold my bike but maintain for new owner. Blew motor on latest project bike and it was running a Super G.

photo 2012-09-11_14-57-13_812a_zps5cc3f829.jpg

• Edited November 1, 2014 9:25 pm  by  vstar105
JetMechRider

11/2/14

I'll be installing TimB's cams when going to the Super E. Do you have beginning jetting for this?
vstar105

11/2/14

64 should be OK, but I prefer to be little on rich side. Mine was 68 main and 29 pilot to compensate for all the extra weight.

18Apes

11/11/14

Mick, here is that update you requested...

On the highway there is absolutely no problems. I can be cruising along at 75mph for extended period of time and then go WOT up to 95mph and there are no issues with fuel delivery.

Now the bad news. When riding on mountain roads with constant turns, I start to have fuel delivery problems about 5-10 min in. I can see why TimB added the 2nd petcock.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. Obviously my old fuel pump was bad, but a new one is $187.00!

I don't really want to mess with an after market pump so I guess I can buy a new one since I'm made of money (NOT). At least going gravity feed was a good way of troubleshooting the fuel pump.

What is really needed is a vented expansion tank where reserve fuel can be stored and all the air that gets in the line from fuel sloshing around in the tank could be removed.

More updates to follow...

-Steve

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Just wondering if a Pingle valve with a larger ID might help. Lots of different choices...even some with dual outlets....

vstar105

11/11/14

I got a fuel pump with very little use. $25 plus shipping.

LowPhat

11/12/14

Sounds like you need a bigger petcock Stevie.