MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Electrical fire (stator side)   Technical-Bikes

Started Apr-19 by aviator90; 268 views.
aviator90

Apr-19

Hi everyone!

I have a '00 model and it caught fire today after a 3 minutes ride. On Saturday (2 day ago) I was on a trip of around 200km..

Fuel pump and lines looked ok around 2 week ago, when I was doing the mid-shaft fix.

We caught it pretty quick, just the plastic holder, U-joint rubber cover and the wires were burnt. It didn't get up to the circuit brakers nor to the fuel lines on the pump.

My question, did it happen to anyone already? What is to be changed except the burned materials, wires from stator and to the reg/rec side, speedometer, probably fuel pump also..?

Thank you all in advance!

crazeeharry

Apr-19

Stator plug meltdown and fire has happened to a few of us, we "HARDWIRE" the wire connections and loose that plug.

aviator90

Apr-19

Does it make sense to also change the fuel pump...the cables on it were melted, but the fuel lines are still in tact (except of a few bubbles on them cause of the heat, but those will be changed with some non OEM, to keep it low budget, those tubes are just way to expensive :D )?

Would a water-proof 3 plug connector also be ok? Heard in the FB group (Yamaha V Star Owners) also something in that direction..?

Thanks for the tip on that ;)

crazeeharry

Apr-19

OEM pump is not cheap, if the wire can be cut back to where it is clean and splice a new piece in, I'd go that route, there is one aftermarket pump out there that works. (Cannot remember the brand?)

Most of us just hardwire (Solder and liquid electrical tape / shrink tube) and then electrical tape that connection, cheap and fool proof.

aviator90

Apr-19

Yeah...the one which is bolted on the pump is not the problem, the one which is comming out of it is, cause there is only the exposed wire. Will probably go for a used pump if I can get it..don't want to get those aftermarket ones, I know how they work...same as the reg/rec's :D not long...

However, I'll have some soldering to do on all the wires, was thinking to use shrink tube on them and then again on all of them together, to make them a bit more resistant for any given case (the OEM covers worked quite well...most of the wires are ok, except down at the connectors). Thank you again, also for the tip with the liquid electrical tape.

In reply toRe: msg 5
aviator90

Apr-20

Anyone knows what those cables are? Can't find them in the diagram...they are basically all black with stripes and as followed

4 pin connector, 2 are bridged to the other 2 (see picture, other side of connector just returns it back) - connector has a plate in it where 2 pins of one side are put on and this is then fwd to the other side.

3 pin connector is without anything

2 pin connector forwards 1 line into the other (again other side of connector just bridges it)

Problem is that I had to cut it from the system in order to even clean it to the way it is now, unfortunately all cables are same color unamused