The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fuel solenoid shut off   General Discussion

Started May-15 by DJ5198; 351 views.
DJ5198

May-15

Running a 03 Vstar 1100. Driving down the road and it will just die like out of fuel. After turning off and on the ignition I can get it to start. I cant find the issue. I have hear about the fuel solenoid but I don't see on one my bike. Any ideas? 

In reply toRe: msg 1
ABE (spud116)

May-15

Fuel cap vent could be plugged or bad causing a vacuum in the tank. 

DJ5198

May-16

Hi thanks for the reply. I did look at that and as far as I can tell its good. I took the cap apart and it was working, also there is no sound of air rushing when I take the cap off. 

Donn (99Orton)

May-16

I'm wondering if maybe the fuel pump is intermittant? Maybe check the fuel filter under the seat just for giggles?

DJ5198

May-16

I did do a new filter ... interesting idea about the pump. Although it sounds that it works when I try to restart.

yama_hammer

May-16

DJ5198 said:

fuel solenoid

V-star 1100 does not have a fuel solenoid it has an electric fuel pump. I'd look there first you can by-pass it and gravity feed the carbs. 

Donn (99Orton)

May-17

There is a fuel shut off solenoid on each carb.

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Shut off solenoids are only on 06-up bikes.....:)

In reply toRe: msg 5
Texpatriat

May-17

While you are checking out the fuel pump be sure to check the wiring connections at both ends as well as looking for pinched or damaged wires. Also, are you sure it's a fuel issue and not ignition related?