The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Idles but won't rev/accelerate   General Discussion

Started May-18 by 7JEP; 523 views.
7JEP

May-18

I can idle my 2003 1100 Vstar Classic but it will not “rev”.  As soon as I turn the throttle it dies.  I was able to warm it up at idle to balance the carbs.  I replaced the PMS with the Mikuni Pilot Thumbscrews.  I replaced the plugs.  No change.  I’m uncertain what to do next to fix this.   

In reply toRe: msg 1
Zonker1972

May-19

i would look at the carb jets. the idle tells me that the pilot jets are fine but since it dies when you give it some throttle the main jets may be clogged. have you done any modifications to the air intake or the exhaust? how many turns out is the PMS?

zonker

7JEP

May-19

Thanks for the reply.  No modifications since I bought it but too many "adjustments" trying to get rid of the popping.  Except for the popping it was running fine.  Then I started messing with the PMS AND the carb balance AND the idle speed.  The problem then started.  I have now properly balanced the carbs since I could get it hot with idle and then I got the PMS with the knerls so I could better tell where I was at.  They are now 2 turns out.  Can I "look" at the carb jets without pulling the carbs?  Also wondering if the problem is clogged carb jets can I try something like Sea Foam or Mystery Oil?  I'm "afraid" that if I pull the carbs they will end up like the quad engine I started overhauling last year and is still sitting on my workbench.  I'm rural and there are always other distractions around the property that take precedent over my pleasures when living "the simple life".  grin

In reply toRe: msg 3
crazeeharry

May-19

Jets are inside the bowls, access by pulling the carbs only. But if you did not mess with them, and the bike hasn't been sitting then I'd leave well enough alone ... for now.

You replaced the PMS (Pilot Mixture Screws) with Knurled ones (knerls?) Yes?

Brass, Knurled finger adjustable pms screws are probably MaxAir, if so they turn 1/2 the stock screws do for the same adjustment. So Max Air should be about 1<1.5 turns out +/- 

Retrace your steps.... When you pulled the stock pms screws did you retrieve the tiny 0 ring on the tips of each, not left in the carb body??

Did you remove the black carb Diaphragm caps, top of carbs access under the tank, if so did you see and remember to replace the tiny 0-rings under there?

You say you Balanced the cabs.. With Vacuum gages or a vinyl tube manometer? (Tube is simple and works best. Gages can be tricky or misleading) 

Are your plugs fouling? (i.e. Really rich/wet)

Did you mess with the TPS (Throttle position sensor), on the carbs?

7JEP

May-19

Definitely never messed with jets.
PMS screws specifically are the Mikuni Screw, Pilot Fuel 604-26003 speced at the bottom of the PMS section of the Wiki.
When I took out the stock ones I looked with a mirror and light and gently poked around with a dental pick but I never felt, saw or found an O ring but the washers, springs fell out.  The new screws were complete with O ring, washers and springs.  Not finding the O rings has concerned me and I hope they bounced away BUT my problem started before I removed the stock ones.
I never removed the carb diaphragm caps.
I tried vacuum gauges but the needles were all over the place so I made the tube one with the yard stick.  Worked well.
I changed the plugs but the ones I took out looked pretty good. The front looked like it may have been rich but the carbs were miles out of sync when I started.
Never touched the TPS but I have seriously messed with the idle adjustment screw. I originally thought it was the carb balancing screw. Naturally that didn’t work.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Donn (99Orton)

May-20

I would double check the old o rings aren't still in there. If they are Mikuni screws then you should be starting at 3 turns out. The best way to adjust the PMS is to do a lean drop as described in the WKb and then sync. Idle speed needs to be between 950-1050 rpms.

crazeeharry

May-20

Hello Donn,

How' she Harley? I'm still riding the V Star on a flat tire...

LOL

k

Donn (99Orton)

May-21

Harry! back riding again after almost a year layoff. Still on the Roadglide.

7JEP

May-23

Double check for O-rings was definitely worth it but more than a little difficult.  If anyone has to do such in the future I used a pipe cleaner for a decent wire.  I burned the fuzz off and made a tiny bend on the end.  I used a small mirror (a dental mirror would have been better) to see the O-rings. I also had a 700 lumens flashlight to "light it up".  I probed around and the O-ring finally dropped out.  I couldn't see it in the port so I looked for it having fallen out.  Both had landed on the cooling fins of the cylinder.  All things being black they were a bitch to see that they were really out.  I put the PMS in and set it to 3 turns out.  I don't have a tachometer so I simply started it.  It started right away and seemed to idle fine.

Unfortunately, if I move the throttle it immediately dies.

Very frustrating and I don't know what to do next.

In reply toRe: msg 9
Donn (99Orton)

May-24

You aren't done until you sync. Anytime you touch the carbs you need to sync after. The idle needs to be 950-1050 rpm