MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Misfire?    Tuning&Exhaust:04cal/06 up

Started Jul-11 by DakotaLH; 236 views.
DakotaLH

Jul-11

Hello all,

I’m new to posting here but feel like I’ve read a ton of forums on here about tuning the 1100. I bought my bike (2006 V Star 1100, 33k miles) used when I lived in Florida. It had cobra slip-ons on it and for the most part ran well. I moved to Wisconsin 2 years ago and the bike still seemed to run ok. I decided to put a chubby pod kit on it last year because my stock air cleaner box was falling apart. With the upgrade (from SS Customs) I got new jets. I installed everything and called them to verify how they wanted everything set. Let’s just say basically have had issues since then. I have 152.5 mains, 20 pilots and 2 shims on my needle. I’m hoping you guys can help give some ideas as to what to look to now because a few weeks ago I decided to take it out and it idled rough (almost sounded like it was misfiring) but I had really good, even power through 5th gear and while riding the bike sounded fine. However, I couldn’t stand the sound of the idle so I tore into it. The carbs are balanced as best as I think I can get them but the bike just sounds awful and now pops, backfires and has no power. I can post a video but thought I’d reach out here for different troubleshooting ideas. The carbs were just taken off and cleaned. 

• Edited July 11, 2021 3:30 am  by  DakotaLH
Msg 63202.2 deleted
Texpatriat

Jul-11

Were the carbs  just taken off and cleaned before or after your current trouble began? If before it's quite likely something didn't go back together quite right.

Donn (99Orton)

Jul-11

Personally I think you are rich for one and maybe the carbs need cleaning. I would drop down to 150 maybe 147.5  mains and 17.5 pilot, sync do a lean drop and sync again.

DakotaLH

Jul-11

Sorry I wasn’t very clear on that! They were cleaned after I started having issues again. The bike was running decent however the idle was off so I turned the sink screw which while the vacuum pressures read as not even, it sounded better at idle. Then I went back to even vacuum on the balance and took the exhaust off because I was hearing a weird “tik”. And I was also thinking it might be rich however I when I took the carb apart after putting the the new air pods on it lasted I found that it already had 147.5 Main and 17.5 pilot in it when just the cobra pipes were on it. I’m not sure if that makes a difference or not. Also, I’m 3.5 turns out on my pms which are stock. 

• Edited July 11, 2021 10:36 am  by  DakotaLH