The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New here   New Member Introductions

Started Aug-28 by Kc1100; 572 views.
Kc1100

Aug-28

Hey guys I'm new here, been on the site reading lots lately, helped me learn alot about my new 1100. Its an 06 classic, stock..  boutmght it, the guy had factory slip on off, and i believe he did the hole saw thing with the exhaust, and removed the ais system, Recently I took the carbs off and cleaned them because it was dying and sputtering randomly, and back firing like hell. I've got the pipes back on, carbs cleaned and back I on, pilet screws 3 turn out and synced. Itll start idle and rev fine, sounds great and no issues..   UNTIL I put it in gear take off, it'll go, but it sputters like crazy and have to twist full throttle to get it to go, if I pull choke lever about half way at that time it does a little better, but not much. Ive cleaned and oiled the k&n air filter,, changed oil and filter, and dropped two new plugs in, gapped at i forgot what it was,, but i gapped them Acccording to the manual online.. Im at a loss and don't know what to do.  Anybody have any suggestions at all?

In reply toRe: msg 1
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

If it were mine...I'd start by looking at the pilot jets. When you take them out, there are little holes in the sides of them. If they get plugged, you'll have about the same issues. A wire from a bread bag tie works well for making sure they are clean.

Kc1100

Aug-28

I did that, but ill do it again, it looks like I'm gonna have to pull carbs back off anyway bc idk what else to do

In reply toRe: msg 3
Kc1100

Aug-30

I had the main and starter swapped!! She finally runs like she's supposed to!  

In reply toRe: msg 4
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

LOL.... good job......and easy to do.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Dan (Kamikazedan)

Sep-3

Thanks for stepping up and admitting your little error. That's a learning experience for all of us. Not everyone has the cojones to fess up. Bravo! 

Kc1100

Sep-3

Lol, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with owning their own mistakes. Well... I guess with some people I could maybe, but that may help another who makes the same mistake and doesn't think to check it... I cleaned the carbs, TWICE after I did it and didn't realize until the second time what I'd done... also, I had to change oil because it smelled like gas... im just glad I got it running, and thanks to all who post in this forum I managed to get through it and have some success.

In reply toRe: msg 7
OldAFVetProf

Sep-12

I'm sorry, but there is not enough space on the internet to fess up to all of the boneheaded things I've done! grimacing